Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> on 2007/08/17 13:13:44 UTC

Excalibur votes (Was: [VOTE] new cornerstone libraries)

Hi Excalibur developers,

I notice that there is some problem looking for the 3 required +1 to
pass votes for the excalibur releases.

Usually I see votes from Carsten, Jorg and J Aaron Farr. Unfortunately
at this specific issue J Aaron Farr did not replied (don't know if he's
busy/on holidays or anything else). That VOTE as of today is one month old.

Are there only 3 active PMC members? If this is true this would require
attention by the ASF board. If otherwise other PMC members didn't cast
their +1 because they think that a release should not be made then I
step back and you can ignore my message.

I don't know about other ASF projects, but Apache JAMES project still
uses excalibur and cornerstone released artifacts, so I'd like to see
this "procedural" tasks solved in an easier way when someone take take
the time for the technical stuff (like Carsten did).

We also depends on Avalon Phoenix and we had to branch it in our
repository in order to ship updated versions: I would like to avoid
doing this for excalibur and cornerstone libraries at all.

Is there anything I can do to help with this issue?

Thank you,
Stefano

Re: Excalibur votes (Was: [VOTE] new cornerstone libraries)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Thomas Vandahl wrote:
> Hi Carsten,
>
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Thomas Vandahl wrote:
>>
>>> The Turbine sub-project Fulcrum uses Avalon as its component technology
>>> of choice. In this way, we are also dependent on Excalibur and
>>> interested in its well-being. If we can be of help, please let us know.
>>>

>> Ah, great - so if you or anyone else is interested in becoming an
>> excalibur committer and pmc member please let us know and I'll start
>> another vote :)
>
> To make myself clear: Yes, I'm interested. I'm forwarding this offer to
> the other Turbine folks, if you don't mind.

Yes, that's fine!

I'll start a vote sometime next week.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Excalibur votes (Was: [VOTE] new cornerstone libraries)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Hi Carsten,

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Thomas Vandahl wrote:
>
>>The Turbine sub-project Fulcrum uses Avalon as its component technology
>>of choice. In this way, we are also dependent on Excalibur and
>>interested in its well-being. If we can be of help, please let us know.
>>

> Ah, great - so if you or anyone else is interested in becoming an
> excalibur committer and pmc member please let us know and I'll start
> another vote :)

To make myself clear: Yes, I'm interested. I'm forwarding this offer to
the other Turbine folks, if you don't mind.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: Excalibur votes (Was: [VOTE] new cornerstone libraries)

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Hi Carsten,

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Ah, great - so if you or anyone else is interested in becoming an
> excalibur committer and pmc member please let us know and I'll start
> another vote :)

I'm not actually sure if I can contribute something useful but I'm
willing to help to keep this project alive. So feel free to nominate me.

Bye, Thomas.

Re: Excalibur votes (Was: [VOTE] new cornerstone libraries)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> I think many JAMES PMC members have some sort of knowledge on the
> cornerstone/excalibur libraries because we depend on them since the
> beginning. I suggest you to ask also to the Cocoon PMC as AFAIK their
> latest stable still have excalibur dependencies (is there any other ASF
> project depending on excalibur?).

The Turbine sub-project Fulcrum uses Avalon as its component technology
of choice. In this way, we are also dependent on Excalibur and
interested in its well-being. If we can be of help, please let us know.

Bye, Thomas.
(Turbine PMC Member)

Re: Excalibur votes (Was: [VOTE] new cornerstone libraries)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> I don't have big interest/knowledge in the excalibur community, so I
> could probably help a mainly with decisions regarding components we use
> in JAMES. That said, if this is the step needed to try to keep excalibur
> alive I'm willing to help, for sure.
Great! I'll start a vote.

> I think many JAMES PMC members have some sort of knowledge on the
> cornerstone/excalibur libraries because we depend on them since the
> beginning. I suggest you to ask also to the Cocoon PMC as AFAIK their
> latest stable still have excalibur dependencies (is there any other ASF
> project depending on excalibur?).
Yes, we opened excalibur for Cocoon long time ago. Apart from james and
cocoon I guess/fear there is no other project using this stuff here.

> You should also be aware that a long term plan for JAMES is to remove
> excalibur/cornerstone as a dependency (as we try to move away from
> avalon, too), but this is not planned for tomorrow, so any solution that
> will help excalibur for a while is welcome.
Same with Cocoon :)

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Excalibur votes (Was: [VOTE] new cornerstone libraries)

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Stefano Bagnara schrieb:
> Carsten Ziegeler ha scritto:
>
>> Hi Stefano,
>>
>> we recently discussed this problem briefly in the pmc mailing list. The
>> overall situation is very disappointing right now (and of course
>> frustrating).
>>
>> I think there are two possibilites: close down excalibur and move the
>> code to the community who is interested in it - or do the opposite and
>> try to get the community using this stuff more involved in Excalibur (or
>> one of its sub projects).
>>
>> While the first solution is rather dramatic currently unclear to me
>> (where to move which code etc.) I think we should try the second way
>> first. So my question is if you (or someone else from the james project)
>> is interested in becoming both, a committer and a pmc member of excalibur?
>>

> I don't have big interest/knowledge in the excalibur community, so I
> could probably help a mainly with decisions regarding components we use
> in JAMES. That said, if this is the step needed to try to keep excalibur
> alive I'm willing to help, for sure.
</snip>

Same here. If it help I can step in too.

bye
Norman

Ps: My time is very limited in the moment

Re: Excalibur votes (Was: [VOTE] new cornerstone libraries)

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Even with migrating away from Excalibur, there are a few components that
are interesting. I'm using source validities and the sourse resolver in
my own project.

Ralph

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Carsten,
>
> It is rather strange to do this, but I volunteer to be added as a
> committer and PMC member here.

I don't think that this is "strange" :) I think we can use all the help
we can get here at excalibur so every volunteer is appreciated.

Thanks
Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Excalibur votes (Was: [VOTE] new cornerstone libraries)

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Carsten,

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi Stefano,