Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Ryan Rhodes <ry...@hotmail.com> on 2004/08/10 03:18:37 UTC

How to search the contents of properties?

I'm trying to implement full text search for properties.  The DASL spec says
about CONTAINS:

"This operator implicitly searches against the text content of a resource,
not against content of properties."

Should I be implementing the LIKE operator instead?

I need to search the contents of the resources, but I need to combine that
with a search against the content of properties.

Exampe:  If I have a property AUTHOR = Ryan Shae Rhodes, I also need to be
able to search for only Shae and get the resource.

-Ryan Rhodes

Re: How to search the contents of properties?

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@hippo.nl>.
Guido Casper wrote:

> Ryan Rhodes wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to implement full text search for properties.  The DASL
>> spec says
>> about CONTAINS:
>>

>> "This operator implicitly searches against the text content of a
>> resource,
>> not against content of properties."
>>

>> Should I be implementing the LIKE operator instead?
>>

>> I need to search the contents of the resources, but I need to combine
>> that
>> with a search against the content of properties.
>>

>> Exampe:  If I have a property AUTHOR = Ryan Shae Rhodes, I also need
>> to be
>> able to search for only Shae and get the resource.
>

> try:
>
> <SLIDE:propcontains xmlns:SLIDE="http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/">
>   <D:prop>
>     <D:AUTHOR/>
>   </D:prop>
>   <D:literal>Shae</D:literal>
> </SLIDE:propcontains>
>
> If you use RDBMSExpressionFactory you should use:
>
> <D:propcontains>
>   <D:prop>
>     <D:AUTHOR/>
>   </D:prop>
>   <D:literal>Shae</D:literal>
> </D:propcontains>
>
> for better performance. (I think BasicExpressionFactory does not yet
> support <D:propcontains/>)

Oh, this should be in the slide namespace actually. I will change
RDBMSExpressionFactory accordingly so the syntax will be the same for in
both cases.

--
Unico

Re: RE: How to search the contents of properties?

Posted by Ma...@t-online.de.
Hi,

you really should implement LIKE. propcontains was introduced as
internal bypass, as restrictions in Tamino would have made it really
hard to implement LIKE as specified in a performant manner ;-)  With
RDBMS it should be not too hard implementing LIKE. propcontains is not
in the DASL spec!

regards,
Martin

What *?!  That's not in the spec.... but it really needs to be.

Wow... thanks a lot Guido.

-Ryan

> I'm trying to implement full text search for properties.  The DASL
spec
says
> about CONTAINS:
>

> "This operator implicitly searches against the text content of a
resource,
> not against content of properties."
>

> Should I be implementing the LIKE operator instead?
>

> I need to search the contents of the resources, but I need to combine
that
> with a search against the content of properties.
>

> Exampe:  If I have a property AUTHOR = Ryan Shae Rhodes, I also need
to be
> able to search for only Shae and get the resource.

try:

<SLIDE:propcontains xmlns:SLIDE="http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/">
   <D:prop>
     <D:AUTHOR/>
   </D:prop>
   <D:literal>Shae</D:literal>
</SLIDE:propcontains>

If you use RDBMSExpressionFactory you should use:

<D:propcontains>
   <D:prop>
     <D:AUTHOR/>
   </D:prop>
   <D:literal>Shae</D:literal>
</D:propcontains>

for better performance. (I think BasicExpressionFactory does not yet
support <D:propcontains/>)

HTH
Guido

RE: How to search the contents of properties?

Posted by Ryan Rhodes <ry...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Guido Casper <gc...@s-und-n.de>.