Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nid <mk...@comcast.net> on 2004/03/11 00:20:00 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache 2.0.40 with dual nics

I'm using Red Hat 8 which includes Apache 2.0.40.  On a handful of installations http does not seem to work...as in...there is no response from the web server.  On the installations where this has been the case....they have all had more than 1 NIC installed.  I have not seen this issue with any server that has just 1 nic.  However, I have installed on a dual nic box where it does work.  (Keep in mind that the httpd configuration on all of these boxes is identical.)  So far...the only thing that I can find in common between the boxes that don't work is that 1 of the nics is integrated into the motherboard.  I have tried the following with no success:

Deactivating 1 of the NICs in the network config
Removing 1 of the NICs in the network config
Specifying the IP in the conf file  (ie....Listen  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 instead of Listen 80)

There are no error messages whatsoever in any of the log files that I have seen when trying to connect to the web server.  So, I was wondering if anyone else had run into a similar issue and if you found a solution to it.  All the servers I've installed on have been of varying hardware.  Again, I've never seen this problem with any server that has only 1 nic.  It has been a problem on every server with more than 1 nic with 1 exception.  The exception did not have an integrated nic....while, so far as I can remember, the others did.  Thank you for any help/advice.

nid

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.40 with dual nics

Posted by Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com>.
Nid wrote:

> All machines...working or not have an /etc/hosts file.  All these machines
> have the exact same config.
>
> And yes....httpd works on all machines when using a browser on the machine
> itself pointing to localhost...or 127.0.0.1.
>
> I'm really not suggesting that Apache is not working per say....but that
> http does not work to a box when the box has dual nics with at least 1 of
> those nics being integrated to the motherboard.  Since the symptom is http
> related...I thought I'd ask on the Apache boards if anyone else had seen
> this.  My belief is that ultimately it is a hardware/driver issue with
> integrated nics....but...again....the symptom is http related so I figured
> the people here would be the ones most likely to have encountered it before.
>
> I have also since tried disabling the onboard nic in the BIOS with no
> success.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> nid

Apache could care less how many/what kind of NICs you have.  Unless you
have a broken config or a bad install of Apache, I would look elsewhere
for problems.

--
Aaron W Morris <aa...@mindspring.com> (decep)

Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.40 with dual nics