Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Stefan Bauer <st...@cubewerk.de> on 2012/05/14 14:17:48 UTC

[users@httpd] apache as ssl-proxy - recommended way?

Dear Users,

what is the recommended way to achive the following:

Client-with-Smartphone -> domain:443(Apache) --> internal server (webmail:443)

We want to configure Apache2 as SSL-Proxy but are unsure which modules are required and if mod_ssl is required at all?

Please bring some light into that topic.

cheers

Stefan

Re: AW: [users@httpd] apache as ssl-proxy - recommended way?

Posted by Giles Coochey <gi...@coochey.net>.
On 14/05/2012 14:26, Stefan Bauer wrote:

> thank you for your answer. Unfortunately we want to have several machines behind the proxy. So if i understood you correctly, mod_ssl is required for mod_proxy even though we _only_ want to forward specific requests like .. ?
>
> domain:443/webmail -->  webmail:443
> domain:443/sharepoint -->  sharepoint:443
> domain:443/wiki -->  wiki:443
>
> The client should talk to the servers directly. according to the path /webmail or /sharepoint, the decisions should be made by apache to which server the forward is made.

Unfortunately, the URI path is not readable unless the proxy first
decrypts the request. At which point there is no point in re-encrypting
the data just to forward it to one of your web-farm servers.
A better way:

domain:443/webmail [Proxy, strip SSL (mod_ssl) , route (mod_proxy) --->
webmail:80
domain:443/sharepoint (Proxy, strip SSL, route) --> sharepoint:80

and so on.

The issue you may have is having unencrypted traffic between the proxy
and your farm, you _can_ re-encrypt the traffic, but it's a pain and
usually unnecessary overhead. You might be better off having host to
host IPsec tunnels if you're concerned with traffic being visible on the
wire.

Re: [users@httpd] apache as ssl-proxy - recommended way?

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@truls.org>.
On 2012-05-14 15:26, Stefan Bauer wrote:

> Unfortunately we want to have several machines behind the proxy.

> The client should talk to the servers directly.

You have to decide wich it is. Either the client talks to a proxy that
talks to the server OR the client talks directly to the server.

 > according to the path /webmail or /sharepoint, the decisions should
 > be made by apache to which server the forward is made.

"Forwarding" could mean proxying or redirecting. If you want the client
to talk directly to the servers, you are looking at redirecting the
request rather than proxying.

If you put the servers behind a proxy, the clients will not talk
directly to the servers.

Regards
/Jonas
--