Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/31 18:38:30 UTC

Re: Question we need to answer to complete Lucene Connector Framework software grant

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com> wrote:
> Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>> It might be interesting to look at what others have done here.  Doesn't
>> Google have a Sharepoint connector?  What do they do?
>>
>> On Jan 28, 2010, at 9:09 AM, Karl Wright wrote:
>>

> We consulted with in-house folks familiar with this problem, and were able
> to confirm that it is the process under which the file was created that
> matters.  In this case, they were both created with the same Microsoft tool,
> which explains the similarity.  This should mean our granted version is
> ownable by Apache.

Is the file the output of using the MS tool?

Hen

Re: Question we need to answer to complete Lucene Connector Framework software grant

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com>
>> wrote:

>>> The Permissions.wsdl (from SharePoint) seems to be the output of
>>> disco.exe.
>>> The MCPermissionswsdl.aspx is constructed as follows:
>>> (1) Generate a wsdl using disco.exe
>>> (2) Turn that into an .aspx file that generates the wsdl, on request to
>>> the
>>> web service.
>>>
>>> So there was hand editing involved in making it be generated by an .aspx,
>>> but otherwise the answer to your question is "yes".
>>>
>>> The engineer who did this work says that he followed the appropriate
>>> Microsoft development recommendations for web service development.
>>

>> What's the input to disco.exe?
>>
>> i.e. why (for example) does "GetPermissionCollectionResponse" show in
>> both, instead of MCPermissionswsdl.aspx having
>> "GetSomeKindaPermThing"?
>>
>> Hen
>>

> As I stated in the original message, the MCPermissions web service was
> constructed precisely to extend the original Permissions web service.  The
> extension in question takes place within the GetPermssionCollection method,
> which in SharePoint is only capable of returning permissions for "Library"
> and "Site" objects.  We extended it to also understand how to get
> permissions for "Folder" and "Item" objects.  The underlying functionality
> in question was added in SharePoint 2007, but Microsoft never updated their
> web services to support the new functionality.  So, we did.
>
> As such, the method in question was consciously designed to be a direct
> replacement of the same method found in the original permissions web
> service.

Sounds fine to me.

Hen

Re: Question we need to answer to complete Lucene Connector Framework software grant

Posted by Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com> wrote:
>
>>Henri Yandell wrote:

>>>Is the file the output of using the MS tool?
>>>
>>>Hen
>>>

>>The Permissions.wsdl (from SharePoint) seems to be the output of disco.exe.
>>The MCPermissionswsdl.aspx is constructed as follows:
>>(1) Generate a wsdl using disco.exe
>>(2) Turn that into an .aspx file that generates the wsdl, on request to the
>>web service.
>>
>>So there was hand editing involved in making it be generated by an .aspx,
>>but otherwise the answer to your question is "yes".
>>
>>The engineer who did this work says that he followed the appropriate
>>Microsoft development recommendations for web service development.
>

> What's the input to disco.exe?
>
> i.e. why (for example) does "GetPermissionCollectionResponse" show in
> both, instead of MCPermissionswsdl.aspx having
> "GetSomeKindaPermThing"?
>
> Hen

As I stated in the original message, the MCPermissions web service was constructed precisely to
extend the original Permissions web service.  The extension in question takes place within the
GetPermssionCollection method, which in SharePoint is only capable of returning permissions for
"Library" and "Site" objects.  We extended it to also understand how to get permissions for "Folder"
and "Item" objects.  The underlying functionality in question was added in SharePoint 2007, but
Microsoft never updated their web services to support the new functionality.  So, we did.

As such, the method in question was consciously designed to be a direct replacement of the same
method found in the original permissions web service.

Thanks,
Karl

Re: Question we need to answer to complete Lucene Connector Framework software grant

Posted by Henri Yandell <hy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Karl Wright <kw...@metacarta.com>.