Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2009/02/24 10:52:22 UTC

[VOTE] Release commons-exec-1.0.0 based on RC4

Hi folks,

the next release candidate ....

Tag:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/exec/tags/EXEC_1_0_0

Site:

http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC4/site/index.html

Binaries:

http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC4/staged/commons-exec/commons-exec/1.0.0/

[ ] +1 release it
[ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
[ ] -1 no, do not release it because

Let the fun begin ...

Siegfried Goeschl

PS: The test distribution is not part of the release but handy for
platform testing -
http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/download/commons-exec/

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-exec-1.0.0 based on RC4

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24/02/2009, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/02/2009, Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> wrote:
>  > Hi folks,
>  >
>  >  the next release candidate ....
>  >
>  >  Tag:
>  >
>  >  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/exec/tags/EXEC_1_0_0
>  >
>  >  Site:
>  >
>  >  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC4/site/index.html
>  >

There does not appear to be a download link or page.

>  >  Binaries:
>  >
>  >  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC4/staged/commons-exec/commons-exec/1.0.0/
>

> No such URL - did you mean:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC4/staged/org/apache/commons/commons-exec/1.0.0/

Sigs and hashes all OK.
N&L files all present.

Source archive agrees with tag, except for the missing
findbugs-exclude-filter.xml.

It would be nice if the manifest files in the source and Javadoc jars
contained the following:

Implementation-Title: Commons Exec
Implementation-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
Implementation-Vendor-Id: org.apache
Implementation-Version: 1.0.0
Specification-Title: Commons Exec
Specification-Vendor: The Apache Software Foundation
Specification-Version: 1.0.0

[in particular, the version would be useful, as it is only in the jar name]

but that is not a blocker

The version string does not agree with most of the other Commons components.
I would expect the first release to be 1.0, not 1.0.0.

Overall, -0.5 because of the version string and missing download page.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Siegfried Goeschl a écrit :
> Hi folks,
>
> the next release candidate ....

The findbugs-exclude-filter.xml file is not in the source archive, so
building everything from source fails. This can be fixed by adding it in
the src/assembly/src.xml file.

Otherwise, everything is fine to me.

+1 for the release.

Thanks for the good work
Luc

Re: [VOTE] Cancellation of commons-exec-1.0.0 (RC4) vote ....

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi Dennis,

thanks for your help - I thought I messed up something with my release
.... ;-)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> the current feedback requires a cancellation and a discussion
>>
>> 1) wrong download link in email - was a copy and paste error on my side
>>
>> 2) improved manifest in sources and javadoc jar - seems to be a parent
>> pom issue and effects all M2 releases (checked commons-cli,
>> commons-digester, commons-io, commons-jxpath)
>>
>> 3) wrong versioning schema, e.g. "commons-exec-1.0.0" - according to
>> http://commons.apache.org/releases/versioning.html the versioning is
>> either correct or the docs are wrong
>>
>> 4) missing findbugs-exclude-filter.xml - well, that's a blocker
>>

>> So the open questions are ....
>>
>> ad 2) any quick ideas how to fix that? I will dig though the parent pom
>> otherwise ...
>
> This should be fixed in the parent POM. Documentation on how to do it
> can be found here:
>   http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-archiver/examples/manifest.html
>
> I'll fix it in a little bit...

The Javadoc jar part is now fixed in the parent POM. You can steal the
configuration from there, if you don't want to wait for the parent to be
released.

The source jar can't be fixed right now, see
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSOURCES-36
I'll see if I can't whip up a patch for that issue.

IMO Commons Exec 1.0 doesn't have to wait for that issue to be solved,
and a new version of Maven Source Plugin.

>> ad 3) can we agree an ONE schema which is properly documented - I'm fed
>> up with some undocumented guidelines resulting in not enough +1 to get
>> commons-exec out of the door, e.g. groupId or versioning. I propose we
>> find a common understanding which I put into the commons wiki.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Siegfried Goeschl
>>
>> Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> the next release candidate ....
>>>
>>> Tag:
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/exec/tags/EXEC_1_0_0
>>>
>>> Site:
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC4/site/index.html
>>>
>>> Binaries:
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/exec/1.0.0/RC4/staged/commons-exec/commons-exec/1.0.0/
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 release it
>>> [ ] +0 go ahead I don't care
>>> [ ] -1 no, do not release it because
>>>

>>> Let the fun begin ...
>>>
>>> Siegfried Goeschl
>>>
>>> PS: The test distribution is not part of the release but handy for
>>> platform testing -
>>> http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/download/commons-exec/

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [VOTE] Cancellation of commons-exec-1.0.0 (RC4) vote ....

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25/02/2009, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> sebb wrote:
>  > 1.0.1 - for a point release
>  > 1.1 for a minor release
>  >
>  > But the first release would be 1.0.
>

> If you follow your point to it's logical conclusion, it should be '1'
>  rather than '1.0' or '1.0.0'

Except that the minor number is not optional.

>  As per http://commons.apache.org/releases/versioning.html, either 1.0 or
>  1.0.0 is acceptable.

Yes, but almost all other Commons components use 1.0.
Probably other ASF projects too.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24/02/2009, Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
>  I think you lost me ....
>
>  +) assuming that commons-exec-1.0.0 is out there what would be the
>  version number for a bugfix only release - would it be 1.1?!

1.0.1 - for a point release
1.1 for a minor release

But the first release would be 1.0.

>  +) assuming that the version numbering schema consists of three parts -
>  why should I start with 1.0 and not with 1.0.0?!

Because the trailing .0 is optional.

>  Within the Apache community there is strong consensus regarding  a three
>  part version numbering schema when looking at the official documentation
>
>  +) http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html
>  +) http://commons.apache.org/releases/versioning.html

This says that the .0 point release is optional.

>  Within Apache Commons a lot of projects are using a three part version
>  number

But mainly where there is a two-part release preceeding it:

>  +) commons-dbcp

The archive site has:

1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.2

>  +) commons-collections

1.0, 2.0, 2.1, 2.1.1, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.2.1

>  +) commons-daemon
>  +) commons-fileupload
>  +) commons-httpclient

>  +) commons-io
>  +) commons-logging
>  +) commons-net

>  So me reasoning is
>
>  +) having a three part version number is a sensible approach

Agreed.

>  +) consequently the very first version is 1.0.0 to be consistent

Disagree; it's not necessary to use 1.0.0; 1.0 will do just as well.

>  +) it is up to the project lead to decide if an update of the minor or
>  point release number is required

Well, there are rules for what constitutes a point release, but if one
is needed, then by all means create 1.0.1 or 1.0.2 etc.

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Hi folks,

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.