Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "O'DELL, TODD E (ATTOPS)" <to...@att.com> on 2008/02/14 16:30:35 UTC

[users@httpd] Runtime definitions missing for 2.2.8 on AIX 5.3

I'm able to build the 2.2.8 Apache on a AIX 5.3 server. It will compile
and install but when I go to start it I get this:

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program httpd because of the following
errors:
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol XML_ParserFree was referenced
      from module /web/apache/production/lib/libaprutil-1.so(), but a
runtime definition
      of the symbol was not found.
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol XML_ParserCreate was referenced
      from module /web/apache/production/lib/libaprutil-1.so(), but a
runtime definition
      of the symbol was not found.
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol XML_SetUserData was referenced
      from module /web/apache/production/lib/libaprutil-1.so(), but a
runtime definition
      of the symbol was not found.
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol XML_SetElementHandler was referenced
      from module /web/apache/production/lib/libaprutil-1.so(), but a
runtime definition
      of the symbol was not found.
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol XML_SetCharacterDataHandler was referenced
      from module /web/apache/production/lib/libaprutil-1.so(), but a
runtime definition
      of the symbol was not found.
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol XML_Parse was referenced
      from module /web/apache/production/lib/libaprutil-1.so(), but a
runtime definition
      of the symbol was not found.
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol XML_GetErrorCode was referenced
      from module /web/apache/production/lib/libaprutil-1.so(), but a
runtime definition
      of the symbol was not found.
rtld: 0712-001 Symbol XML_ErrorString was referenced
      from module /web/apache/production/lib/libaprutil-1.so(), but a
runtime definition
      of the symbol was not found.
rtld: 0712-002 fatal error: exiting.

I'm on an AIX 5.3 server w/ the IBM XL C compiler.
vac.C                      8.0.0.0  COMMITTED  IBM XL C Compiler

The configure portion
CC="/usr/vac/bin/cc_r";
OBJECT_MODE=64
LDFLAGS="$LDFLAGS -L/apps/support/packages/lib"
LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/apps/support/packages/lib"
INCLUDE="-I/apps/support/packages/include"
CPPFLAGS="-I/apps/support/packages/include"

export CC
export OBJECT_MODE
export LDFLAGS
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export INCLUDE
export CPPFLAGS

./configure \
--prefix=/web/apache/production \
--enable-so \
--enable-rewrite=shared \
--enable-info=shared \
--enable-status=shared \
--enable-deflate=shared \
--with-z=/apps/support/packages \
--enable-ssl=shared \
--with-ssl=/apps/support/packages \
--with-expat=/apps/support/packages \
--disable-userdir \
--disable-autoindex

I have the openssl, expat and z libraries at /apps/support/packages/lib.

I'm fairly certain the Expat library is not included properly. I have
LIBPATH set to point to the location the libexpat.a is located. But I
thought that even if the Expat was shared shouldn't the compile and/or
link fail? Mainly what I'm wondering is there something I could check?
Does this simply mean the library was not found to load?

I'm including the following files for reference:
Here's the configure running, make, and make install.
 <<config2.2.8-0214.log>>

Any thoughts on this would be great!

Todd E. O'Dell
Assoc Tech Support Analysis Network
AT&T Operations
Room 1118
500 E. 8th
Kansas City, MO 64106
Office: (816)275-3626
to2958@att.com

Re: [users@httpd] Runtime definitions missing for 2.2.8 on AIX 5.3

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 10:30 AM, O'DELL, TODD E (ATTOPS)
<to...@att.com> wrote:
> I'm able to build the 2.2.8 Apache on a AIX 5.3 server. It will compile
>  and install but when I go to start it I get this:
>
>  exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program httpd because of the following
>  errors:
>  rtld: 0712-001 Symbol XML_ParserFree was referenced
>       from module /web/apache/production/lib/libaprutil-1.so(), but a
>  runtime definition
>       of the symbol was not found.

ISTR a problem with libtool on AIX where the relinkde/installed
version of apr-util has a hard-coded reference to expat that cannot be
overridden by LIBPATH. This should only affect running the Apache code
on a different system, as the hard-coded path ought to at least be
correct.

You might want to try temporarily using the apr-util libs from
srclib/apr-util/.libs/ instead of the ones re-linked by libtool, and
see if it helps at all.

You might also want to try picking up a newer libtool and re-building.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

RE: [users@httpd] Runtime definitions missing for 2.2.8 on AIX 5.3

Posted by "O'DELL, TODD E (ATTOPS)" <to...@att.com>.
Update:
After rebuilding Expat several times I explicitly disabled the static
build and enabled the shared ( though it's supposed to be shared by
default ) and the size changed and I'm now able to get different errors:

httpd: Syntax error on line 55 of
/web/apache/production/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load
/web/apache/production/modules/mod_ssl.so into server: rtld: 0712-001
Symbol main was referenced\n      from module
/apps/support/packages/lib/libssl.so(), but a runtime definition\n
of the symbol was not found.\nrtld: 0712-001 Symbol main was
referenced\n      from module /apps/support/packages/lib/libcrypt
o.so(), but a runtime definition\n      of the symbol was not
found.\nrtld: 0712-002 fatal error: exiting.

The other mod's are loading fine. Does anyone know of a way to 'look at'
a library and know if it's shared or static? Those OpenSSL libs ought to
be shared but I'll have to look into that.

Todd