Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/08/02 08:07:47 UTC

[drlvm] expanding the tests

I was looking at HARMONY-788 today, and I'd like to be able to
incorporate some of the jasmin tests into our infrastructure.

I presume that the techniques for creating  arbitrary class files will
be useful for classlib as well?

Anyone have any thoughts on how we might go forward here, in DRLVM
anyway?  I don't want to keep going w/ the current tests (a la smoke).

geir

Re: [drlvm] expanding the tests

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.
> In other words you suggest we should develop our own harness, right? :)

At least search for existing harnesses - I'm sure there are projects
with tests in mixed nature (languages, way of execution, etc) with
test infrastructure that runs them all and displays results in an
uniform manner.

Anton Luht,
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [drlvm] expanding the tests

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Anton,

2006/8/3, Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> It seems that the following should be done to include Jasmin tests
> into the infrastructure:
> - support different types of files in the test suite - at least Java
> and Jasmine. It may be not a good idea to create a separate test suite
> for Jasmine tests because a developer that creates test for some
> functionality would have to switch between them if he/she wants to
> write tests partly in Java partly in Jasmine. Maybe someone would want
> to create a test with mixed Java and Jasmine code - for example, test
> written in Java that loads class compiled from Jasmine
> - such test may be not only smoke/unit but also stress, performance,
> etc - like tests written in Java
> - test harness should be able to support not only common
> JUnit/TestNG/... classes but also things like negative class loading
> tests - there are classes with broken structures and the test is an
> attempt to load them - if JVM fails, the test passes.
>
> On 8/2/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > I was looking at HARMONY-788 today, and I'd like to be able to
> > incorporate some of the jasmin tests into our infrastructure.
> >
> > I presume that the techniques for creating  arbitrary class files will
> > be useful for classlib as well?
> >
> > Anyone have any thoughts on how we might go forward here, in DRLVM
> > anyway?  I don't want to keep going w/ the current tests (a la smoke).
> >
> > geir

> Regards,
> Anton Luht,
> Intel Middleware Products Division

Alexei Zakharov,
Intel Middleware Product Division

Re: [drlvm] expanding the tests

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Anton Luht wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems that the following should be done to include Jasmin tests
> into the infrastructure:
> - support different types of files in the test suite - at least Java
> and Jasmine. It may be not a good idea to create a separate test suite
> for Jasmine tests because a developer that creates test for some
> functionality would have to switch between them if he/she wants to
> write tests partly in Java partly in Jasmine. Maybe someone would want
> to create a test with mixed Java and Jasmine code - for example, test
> written in Java that loads class compiled from Jasmine

Absolutely.  I just thought this was a good time to re-think how the
tests are done. (You know my feelings about the DRLVM build...)

> - such test may be not only smoke/unit but also stress, performance,
> etc - like tests written in Java

yep

> - test harness should be able to support not only common
> JUnit/TestNG/... classes but also things like negative class loading
> tests - there are classes with broken structures and the test is an
> attempt to load them - if JVM fails, the test passes.

Right - I think that characterizes the tests that I've put in the src
directory.  But I would think we could wrap those in TestNT/JUnit tests.
 I may try that for kicks - scribble something together...

geir

Posted by Anton Luht <an...@gmail.com>.
Hello,