Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org> on 2016/07/14 15:24:01 UTC

[ALL] JDK 9 Version String

If this issue has been raised in the past, my apologies. I did a search for
"Verona" in the mail archives here and didn't see any hit besides Oracle's
own notification [1]. That was the only hit.

In JDK 9, the version string is changing from 1.0.X to bigger numbers like
9.0.0 [2]. Code that has assumed the 1.x pattern for parsing the version
string will likely fail or behave strangely. Apache Commons will be one of
these libraries [3]. I already notified the Log4J community that Log4J 1.x
is also affected. So this is just an FYI for any Commons project that is
relying on the Version string.

The slew of Apache Commons sub-projects are likely baked into many
applications. So what does Verona's change mean in practice to all you
here? Any concerns on Verona? This is the time to speak up to Oracle with
any feedback you may have.

[1] http://markmail.org/message/t3l7d73tmqslkele
[2] http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/223
[3]
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-lang/javadocs/api-3.4/src-html/org/apache/commons/lang3/SystemUtils.html#line.952

Cheers,
Paul

Re: [ALL] JDK 9 Version String

Posted by dalibor topic <da...@oracle.com>.

On 14.07.2016 20:05, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Am I blind or can someone point out how to comment on a JEP?

Each JEP has a "Discussion" field pointing to the most appropriate
mailing list to discuss it.

> The JEP is
> linked to https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8061493 but how do you
> get an account on that?

JBS accounts are available to OpenJDK developers. Please see the
"Account Eligibility" section of
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/general/JBS+Overview for more details.

> I recall hearing a preso on how the comments for Java were locked down for
> fear of too much feedback... or something.

Anyone can submit issues through bugs.java.com and, as necessary,
participate in discussing their resolution on the corresponding mailing
lists.

In the OpenJDK community, mailing lists are used for discussions, while
the issue tracker is, broadly speaking, used to record facts.

While that is different from the 'anything goes anywhere' setup
implicitly or explicitly favored by some other open source communities,
it also removes a lot of the friction resulting from such an approach.

cheers,
dalibor topic
--
<http://www.oracle.com> Dalibor Topic | Principal Product Manager
Phone: +494089091214 <tel:+494089091214> | Mobile: +491737185961

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | K�hneh�fe 5 | 22761 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 M�nchen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht M�nchen, HRA 95603

Komplement�rin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Gesch�ftsf�hrer: Alexander van der Ven, Jan Schultheiss, Val Maher

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment> Oracle is committed to developing
practices and products that help protect the environment

[LANG] Fixing LANG-1197 (Was: [ALL] JDK 9 Version String)

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Pascal,

can you please elaborate what problems you ran into? Your approach of
deprecating JAVA_1_9 looks promising to me.

Regards,
Benedikt

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.

Re: [ALL] JDK 9 Version String

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello,

Re: [ALL] JDK 9 Version String

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for the pointers.

Re: [ALL] JDK 9 Version String

Posted by dalibor topic <da...@oracle.com>.

Re: [ALL] JDK 9 Version String

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [ALL] JDK 9 Version String

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I noticed that you can't make an account there, too, when I wanted to
report a javac bug. Plus, it would have been too convenient of a location
to report JDK9 bugs during development apparently.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [ALL] JDK 9 Version String

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Re: [ALL] JDK 9 Version String