Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Stefan Rennick Egglestone <sr...@Cs.Nott.AC.UK> on 2004/08/19 12:37:03 UTC

net - unexpected 150 when getting a file

Dear all

I'm trying to write code to get a file from an ftp server at
www.rfcgr.mrc.ac.uk.

I've just been following the example in the javadoc for class
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient. This suggests that I should start
off the process (after having connected and logged-in to the server) by
doing

 InputStream is = ftp.retrieveFileStream("error.log");   // error.log is
definitely a file in the directory I'm working from

if(!FTPReply.isPositiveIntermediate(ftp.getReplyCode()))
  {
      // something has gone wrong, so close connection
  }

Now my problem is that I always get reply code 150 through. 150 is not a
positive intermediate code (these are all between 300 and 400) so I
close the connection and indicate to the user that file download has
failed. But, looking up ftp error codes, apparently 150 means

File status okay, about to open data connection.

and since it's number is between 100 and 200, then I have to wait for
another reply before proceeding with a new command. So, I was wondering
if anyone could tell me how to wait for another reply? I've tried
checking the error code repeatedly, but it never changes. I've tried
calling getReply, but this seems to block forever. What else can I do?

Thanks!
Stefan Rennick Egglestone