Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by bikash sharma <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/26 16:25:53 UTC

TaskTracker not starting on all nodes

Hi,
I have a 10 nodes Hadoop cluster, where I am running some benchmarks for
experiments.
Surprisingly, when I initialize the Hadoop cluster
(hadoop/bin/start-mapred.sh), in many instances, only some nodes have
TaskTracker process up (seen using jps), while other nodes do not have
TaskTrackers. Could anyone please explain?

Thanks,
Bikash

Re: TaskTracker not starting on all nodes

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.
(Removing common-dev, because this isn't a dev question)

On Feb 26, 2011, at 7:25 AM, bikash sharma wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a 10 nodes Hadoop cluster, where I am running some benchmarks for
> experiments.
> Surprisingly, when I initialize the Hadoop cluster
> (hadoop/bin/start-mapred.sh), in many instances, only some nodes have
> TaskTracker process up (seen using jps), while other nodes do not have
> TaskTrackers. Could anyone please explain?

	Check your logs.

Re: TaskTracker not starting on all nodes

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@apache.org>.

Posted by icebergs <hk...@gmail.com>.
put your slave's public key into your master's authorized_keys.

cat public_key >> authorized_keys

Posted by James Seigel <ja...@tynt.com>.
Sounds like just a bit more work on understanding ssh will get you there.

What you are looking for is getting that public key into authorized_keys

James

Posted by MANISH SINGLA <co...@gmail.com>.
Hii all,

Posted by icebergs <hk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bikash sharma <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sonal,

Posted by bikash sharma <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

Posted by James Seigel <ja...@tynt.com>.

Posted by Simon <gs...@gmail.com>.
Hey Bikash,

Maybe you can manually start a  tasktracker on the node and see if there are
any error messages. Also, don't forget to check your configure files for
mapreduce and hdfs and make sure datanode can start successfully first.
After all these steps, you can submit a job on the master node and see if
there are any communication between these failed nodes and the master node.
Post your error messages here if possible.

HTH.
Simon -

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 10:44 AM, bikash sharma <sh...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks James. Well all the config. files and shared keys are on a shared
> storage that is accessed by all the nodes in the cluster.
> At times, everything runs fine on initialization, but at other times, the
> same problem persists, so was bit confused.
> Also, checked the TaskTracker logs on those nodes, there does not seem to
> be
> any error.
>
> -bikash
>
> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 10:30 AM, James Seigel <ja...@tynt.com> wrote:
>
> > Maybe your ssh keys aren’t distributed the same on each machine or the
> > machines aren’t configured the same?

> > On 2011-02-26, at 8:25 AM, bikash sharma wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I have a 10 nodes Hadoop cluster, where I am running some benchmarks
> for
> > > experiments.
> > > Surprisingly, when I initialize the Hadoop cluster
> > > (hadoop/bin/start-mapred.sh), in many instances, only some nodes have
> > > TaskTracker process up (seen using jps), while other nodes do not have
> > > TaskTrackers. Could anyone please explain?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bikash

Simon

Re: TaskTracker not starting on all nodes

Posted by bikash sharma <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Seigel <ja...@tynt.com>.