Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Pat Quinn <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2003/03/24 11:13:11 UTC

RE: [Design] User Customisable Views

Cheers for prompt reply Andrew, sorry about sendind my reply direct...

>From: "Andrew Hill" <an...@gridnode.com>
>Subject: RE: [Design] User Customisable Views  Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003
>17:40:09 +0800
>
>IMHO you would probably want to create bean(s) that contain the relevant
>preferences. Ie:
>
>getFavouriteMouseOverColour()
>getPreferredAlignment()
>isShowColumnX()
>
>In your business tier of course these get persisted to / retrieved from the
>database (a few hundred rows isnt going to hurt much (I think)).
>
>If these prefs dont get changed on the fly by other users (ie: only that
>user changes them usually) then the best place to retrieve is when the user
>does a login and you can cache the bean(s) for that user in their session.

I personally don't like the idea of loading user preferences ever time they
log on so i was thinking about caching their pref details e.g. a singleton
object to cache all user prefs then having a thread to remove prefs which
have not been accessed with a set time frame.

>In your JSP (or velocity template or whatever you use for rendering) you
>can
>access the getters to provide you the appropriate values you need, and of
>course make use of such things as the equals / notEquals tags etc... (this
>isnt 'logic' its just hiding/showing stuff depending on whats set in your
>prefs...)

I was trying to avoid this... it adds more complexity to the JSP making
mantience and UI updates a nightmare, i want to keep my jsp's
as simple as possible as i don't want to be the only who can make UI
updates... after all i'm a java developer not a web designer.