Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2014/09/04 10:41:56 UTC

Squiggly dictionaries license

Hi,

I just added some MIT / BSD dictionaries to Squiggly and modified the LICENSE in what I think is is accordance with their license. Any objections to what I've done here before we (eventually in a month or so) come around to making a new release.

https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/blob/develop/Squiggly/LICENSE

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Squiggly dictionaries license

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, I will ask for approval on legal-discuss.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/24/14 11:12 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> only a portion of the dictionary README is copied into the Squiggly
>>LICENSE.
>
>That's incorrect there's currently a pointer to the long form.
IMO, we either use the entire license, or use a pointer, and if we use a
pointer, it should follow the template in the how-to.  Can you explain why
we shouldn't use the pointer template in the how-to?

Can you explain, given that the responder on legal-discuss did not say the
current LICENSE was ok and made a suggestion for a change, you do not want
to change the current LICENSE?

-Alex

Re: Squiggly dictionaries license

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/24/14 10:27 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> I looked again this morning.  Is there something I was supposed to get
>> from that?
>
>Yes look at the license "pointer" for the dictionaries are set up.
>https://github.com/apache/openoffice/blob/trunk/main/LICENSE_aggregated

I'm sorry, I still don't know what I'm supposed to learn from this that
supports the current text of the Squiggly license.  IMO, since the last
line of LICENSE_aggregated says "make sure to add the license here" and
Open Office is using the practice of having long LICENSE files, that would
imply that you would copy the entire README into LICENSE as I suggested as
option 1 and was suggested by the responder on legal-discuss.  Right now

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I looked again this morning.  Is there something I was supposed to get
from that?  I did not see anything that would make me think the current
text in flex-utilities/Squiggly/LICENSE is correct.  IMO, there are two
choices:

1) go against the folks who prefer short licenses and include the entire
Hunspell README in the LICENSE.
2) Use a simple pointer without copyright or excerpt from the README as
described in the how-to such as:

This product bundles SCOWL and Friends dictionaries, which are available
under a
"BSD/MIT-like" license.  For details, see
dictionaries/en_US/README_en_US.txt or dictionaries/en_GB/README_en_GB.txt.

Either one is fine with me. Open Office definitely leads the way in long
licenses.  I think what we have right now is at best misleading as one
could be fooled into thinking the excerpt is the complete license.  I know
you have additional text above saying to look for more details, but I
don't understand why we wouldn't want to use the template.  Every time we
try to create our own wording we run the risk of doing it wrong, and the
response on legal-discuss did not say the current text is correct.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
My conclusion, based on reply on the legal-discuss thread is that we
should either use a pointer or include the entire license, but not just
the portion that talks about the collection.  IOW, it wouldn't be right
for someone to take an Apache LICENSE file that references third-party
content and other licenses and only include the Apache portion and not the
rest.

I do agree no change to NOTICE is required.

-Alex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

4. http://apache.org/dev/release.html#distributing-code-under-several-licenses
10. https://github.com/apache/openoffice/blob/trunk/main/LICENSE_aggregated

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Also, when you wanted to add copyright to LICENSE for Open-Sans font, the
> instructions from legal-discuss was to not do that.

Actually no - they said it was not part of the meeting the minimum legal requirements of something that was Apache licensed not MIT / BSD licenses. A very big difference.

In fact their advice was this:
"MIT and BSD are not ALv2. So, we need to take action to insure that the license for these bundled dependencies is handled properly. Thus we add their information to the LICENSE file. Also, MIT/BSD licenses are project/organization specific. The license and copyright/organization information are not separable."

Which is what I was following.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/5/14 6:47 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> I'll ask on legal-discuss
>
>Again IMO there no need to ask - all we have to do is comply with minimal
>legal requirements - which we certainly are. If we happen to do a little
>more than required that's not actually against the rules and in may
>actually be the right thing to do when we are using other people code. If
>we happen to get it wrong we can correct as needed when required in a
>future release. The whole point of being a TLP is we can make our own
>decisions, yes we may need advice on occasion but doesn't mean we have to
>go and ask legal every single time for every minor thing.
Apache loves to push decision making responsibility to the TLP, but
LICENSE and NOTICE seem to be an exception since the how-to says "if in
doubt, ask".  I think that's because there are legal implications and it
isn't so good, at least in the US, to take the "we'll fix it later"
approach.

Also, when you wanted to add copyright to LICENSE for Open-Sans font, the
instructions from legal-discuss was to not do that.

The worst that will happen is that legal-discuss will tell me it is a
minor thing and to go away or not answer at all.

-Alex

Re: Squiggly dictionaries license

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I'll ask on legal-discuss

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/4/14 3:35 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>I think providing one and pointing the user where they can get others or
>a newer one is best.
What do you think of the idea of not having the dictionaries in Git and
having the release packaging script get them?  That way the RM doesn't
have to remember to refresh the dictionaries before packaging the release.

Regarding the LICENSE, my reading of [1] makes me think the right answer
would be:

1) In LICENSE, the only text other than the Apache License would read:

This product bundles the SCOWL (and friends) Hunspell dictionaries for
en_US and en_CA, which is available under a
"BSD/MIT-like" license.  For details, see
dictionaries/en_US/README_en_US.txt and/or
dictionaries/en_GB/README_en_GB.txt.

2) I would leave the names of the README file as it comes in the zip so
there is less chance for confusion as to who wrote that file.

The reason I think this is because [1] says "add a pointer to the
dependency's license within the source tree and a short note summarizing
its licensing", and the text attempts to follow the template given in [1].

I know later it says: "NOTE: It's also possible to include the text of the
3rd party license within the LICENSE file. This is best reserved for short
licenses.", but IMO, the license is all of the licenses in the README, not
just the "top-level" one for Kevin so I consider this a long license.

And, of course, as [1] says, if there is doubt, we should ask on
legal-discuss.

Thoughts?
-Alex

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

Re: Squiggly dictionaries license

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I looked at the commits.  I'll have to go digging through the policy docs
> to make sure it is right.  I would have done it differently but I could
> certainly be wrong.

OK.

> Before I go digging, though, do we know how often the dictionaries get
> updated?

As a guess every 3 -6 months [1]

> Do we want to check one into Git if they do change?  Do we want to
> download one when building a release binary if it can get stale?

I think providing one and pointing the user where they can get others or a newer one is best. While bundling adds to LICENSE you don't get any download issues.  Not everyone knows how to (or has permission to) run ant, is always connected 100% of the time with reliable internet, and as we know some countries block sites.

> Or should we just provide an Ant target or mini-install so they can get the
> latest and tell folks how to do that in the README?

May be able to do that as well.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://wordlist.aspell.net/news/

Re: Squiggly dictionaries license

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I looked at the commits.  I'll have to go digging through the policy docs
to make sure it is right.  I would have done it differently but I could
certainly be wrong.

Before I go digging, though, do we know how often the dictionaries get
updated?  Even the "real world" dictionaries get updated with new words.
Do we want to check one into Git if they do change?  Do we want to
download one when building a release binary if it can get stale?  Or
should we just provide an Ant target or mini-install so they can get the
latest and tell folks how to do that in the README?  I get that it could
save you a step, but doesn't if you end up having to go check if you have
the latest.

-Alex