Posted to dev@openmeetings.apache.org by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/11 18:19:34 UTC

[local dev talk] Error collecting infrastructure for Openmeetings

[changing aliases once again - reducing them to dev@]

Hello, OM folks,

So generally what we have achieved with our request is
1) either there is no or little general interest at Apache to our
intention to collect user data,
2) or there are great flame battles somewhere on private lists we don't yet see.

I don't really think 2) is the case, and I believe we may continue
assuming 1) is true. That makes us on the safe side from being not
transparent enough with our project development. Maybe I'm paranoid a
bit, anyway.

I have seen that Maxim and Artyom has already achieved a consensus,
and it is aligned to what Sebastian has said. So there is one new
thing we have not yet discussed, the idea by Sebastian that we should
collect data here at Apache instead of Google Analytics with some form
of CGI or other script.

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://dataved.ru/
+7 916 562 8095

Re: [local dev talk] Error collecting infrastructure for Openmeetings

Posted by "seba.wagner@gmail.com" <se...@gmail.com>.
Sorry but what was the consens of Artyom and Maxim?
As far as I know the UA / Google analytics code is gone. Maxim has reverted
the commit.

So the current status is:
There is no such error collecting mechanism, neither Google Analytics nor
anything else.
There is a button on top right: Report error, that opens a new browser on
Jira.

What I would like to know now is:
What does this automated ping back to an error infrastructure collect at
all? What page will trigger this error collection?
As far as I know there is no general error page in OpenMeetings. In Wicket
we heavily use Ajax calls. There is almost no use case where the user would
be redirected to an error 500 page, as the result of an invalid Ajax
request is just an internal error that you could only see in Firebug or
comparable Developer tools. Or is there anything Wicket specific that does
collect that?
And in the Flash version I see no concrete use case that would send this
ping back either.

So what is the mechanism that triggers this error collection, when exactly
will there be a report send to Google Analytics (or whatever we will be
using)?

Thanks,
Sebastian

--