Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jitendra Pandey <ji...@hortonworks.com> on 2017/02/22 00:58:30 UTC

[IP CLEARANCE] Software grant for Ratis (incubating)

Please check the ip-clearance form for a software grant for Ratis source to the ASF by Hortonworks Inc.

http://incubator.staging.apache.org/ip-clearance/ratis.html

Thanks
jitendra

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Software grant for Ratis (incubating)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Look fine to me, no binary files, source code has headers.

BTW your LICENSE is referring to dependancies (including a EPL license one) rather than what is bundled inside the repo (which strangely are not mentioned), but that’s not an IP clearance issue.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Software grant for Ratis (incubating)

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 8:43 PM Jitendra Pandey <ji...@hortonworks.com>
wrote:

> A software grant document
> (https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant.txt) from Hortonworks has
> already been filed with secretary@apache.org, and has been ack-ed.

Then other than verifying new license headers are in place, as needed,
you're good to go.

(and I only looked after that a SGA was filed, so sorry for making that
ambiguous)

Posted by Jitendra Pandey <ji...@hortonworks.com>.
A software grant document

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
All,
the Board approved Apache Zest (now Polygene) to go straight to TLP about 2
years ago. Part of the decision was the question; "What benefit will
incubation have for the community?", and since we had exclusively Apache
members on the initial project, operated with an ASF mindset before coming
to ASF, we had no good answer for that particular question. Follow up on
that was to have a "provisional TLP" (proposed by Greg Stein, I think), a
self-inflected restriction, and the Board asked "What benefit for the
project does that bring?".

I think more projects have done this since then, but not sure...

So, end of the day; Place a Resolution in front of the Board, accompanied
(a priori) with motivation why incubation is not beneficial to the
community, and you have a good shot at go straight to TLP.

HTH
Niclas

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
http://polygene.apache.org <http://zest.apache.org> - New Energy for Java

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Software grant for Ratis (incubating)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> On a separate note, I wish there was a fast-track for these kind of
> projects which can start internally in Apache without too much of a hassle.

Given the LICENSE currently has issue do you think this project could go straight to TLP?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Software grant for Ratis (incubating)

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.

> I'm pretty sure I brought this up on legal-discuss before.  Its not
> incorrect, but they are openly giving access to the code to the ASF.  The
> ASF can choose to ignore that license if they want.

All of the developers are coming from the Apache community (mainly Hadoop
and related), so the intention from day-1 was to go through incubation. I
guess nobody bothered with putting license headers for the company because
of the eventuality.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,