Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dan Shookowsky <ds...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/16 15:24:52 UTC

Server Hardware requirements

I've gotten a tentative OK on rolling out Subversion as a replacement for
Visual Source Safe.  Up to this point, I've been running it locally on my
laptop as the only user.  Does anyone have any rules of thumb that they can
provide with respect to server sizing for a small development (~10
developers) organization?  Although it doesn't always seem true, we really
don't produce that much code and should have limited branching
requirements.  We're planning on implementing a code repository for
developers and will probably also implement a webdav-enabled document
repository for the remainder of the organization (~30 individuals).

Re: Server Hardware requirements

Posted by Matt Doran <ma...@papercut.biz>.
Marc Haisenko wrote:
> On Thursday 16 March 2006 16:24, Dan Shookowsky wrote:
>
>> I've gotten a tentative OK on rolling out Subversion as a replacement for
>> Visual Source Safe.  Up to this point, I've been running it locally on my
>> laptop as the only user.  Does anyone have any rules of thumb that they can
>> provide with respect to server sizing for a small development (~10
>> developers) organization?  Although it doesn't always seem true, we really
>> don't produce that much code and should have limited branching
>> requirements.  We're planning on implementing a code repository for
>> developers and will probably also implement a webdav-enabled document
>> repository for the remainder of the organization (~30 individuals).
>>

> Any current machine will do. SubVersion doesn't need a lot resources.

Agreed.

The server hosting *the* subversion repository (svn.collab.net) was
recently upgraded.  The old box performed well and there were many more
than 10 devs accessing it.    To quote C. Michael Pilato (one of the
Subversion devs), the old box was nothing special ...

    Why the migration?  Put simply, the old box was a 700MHz desktop machine,
    with 256 megs of RAM, running RedHat 7.1, and sitting in a closet of the
    CollabNet Chicago office which is now inhabited by exactly one person.

See his full mail here:
http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=113794
<http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=113794>

Cheers,
Matt

Re: Server Hardware requirements

Posted by Marc Haisenko <ha...@comdasys.com>.
On Thursday 16 March 2006 16:24, Dan Shookowsky wrote:
> I've gotten a tentative OK on rolling out Subversion as a replacement for
> Visual Source Safe.  Up to this point, I've been running it locally on my
> laptop as the only user.  Does anyone have any rules of thumb that they can
> provide with respect to server sizing for a small development (~10
> developers) organization?  Although it doesn't always seem true, we really
> don't produce that much code and should have limited branching
> requirements.  We're planning on implementing a code repository for
> developers and will probably also implement a webdav-enabled document
> repository for the remainder of the organization (~30 individuals).

Any current machine will do. SubVersion doesn't need a lot resources. I'd just
recommend a RAID and a Gigabit ethernet card. Apart from that, take what you
want ;-)

Our current SubVersion server is a Pentium III with 1GHz and a 1GB of RAM.
That machine is bored, I mean _really_ bored. And the GB RAM also seems like
a waste to me.

We're currently about 8 developers working with that server and our repository
dump is 4GB in size.

C'ya,
	Marc

--
Marc Haisenko
Comdasys AG

Rüdesheimer Straße 7
D-80686 München
Tel:   +49 (0)89 - 548 43 33 0
Fax:   +49 (0)89 - 548 43 33 29
e-mail: haisenko@comdasys.com
http://www.comdasys.com

Re: Server Hardware requirements

Posted by Ron Bieber <ro...@bieberlabs.com>.
We are currently running on a Sun 480 2x4.    The box runs Subversion, our
own build management software, and CruiseControl.   Total team size is ~30
people actively using the version control system.

Hope this helps.

-- Ron

-- Ron (http://www.bieberlabs.com)