Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Xian Woo <in...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/11 12:38:53 UTC

About Region Split

HI, everyone, I have some question about the "region-split" mechanism.  I've
learnt that a region contains several rows and  when a store file in a
region grows large than the configured "hbse.hregion.max.filesize", the
region is split in two. But what if I keep putting millions of values into a
specific row and each value is put into a single column of the row, and when
the store file reaches  the configured "hbse.hregion.max.filesize", can the
region be split into two regions? I myself guess the answer is no, however
I'm not sure what will happen to the "overweight" region, are there any side
effect about that?
Thanks.
Best wishes.
Woo

Re: About Region Split

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Xian Woo <in...@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI, everyone, I have some question about the "region-split" mechanism.  I've
> learnt that a region contains several rows and  when a store file in a
> region grows large than the configured "hbse.hregion.max.filesize", the
> region is split in two. But what if I keep putting millions of values into a
> specific row and each value is put into a single column of the row, and when
> the store file reaches  the configured "hbse.hregion.max.filesize", can the
> region be split into two regions? I myself guess the answer is no, however
> I'm not sure what will happen to the "overweight" region, are there any side
> effect about that?

That is right.  We will not split a row even if its content makes for
storefiles > hbase.hregion.max.filesize.  As to repercussions, I
cannot comment.  I've no experience of regions at this extreme.  You
could try it for yourself?

St.Ack