Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Rob Allen <Al...@GENSA.COM> on 2006/06/19 18:41:02 UTC

More noob problems

Still having newbie troubles with IndigoPerl.  It all installed correctly and the service is up and running.  I can start/stop Apache consistently with no troubles.  There are no errors reported in the error log.

BUT...

Apache is sucking up 90-95% of my CPU pretty consistently, and when I make a request (http://localhost...) including trying to run PerlConsole, it hangs.  No error message, no 404 Page Not Found, nothing.  It just hangs and sucks CPU cycles until I shut down Apache.

Running on Win XP.

Any advice?  (Please spare me the "get off Windows" advice, though.  I don't have a choice.)

Rob Allen
Senior Systems Analyst
Gensa Corporation
Crowne Corporate Center II
2870 Gateway Oaks Drive
Sacramento, CA 95833
http://www.gensa.com <http://www.gensa.com>

Re: More noob problems

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Rob Allen wrote:

> Still having newbie troubles with IndigoPerl.  It all
> installed correctly and the service is up and running.  I
> can start/stop Apache consistently with no troubles.
> There are no errors reported in the error log.
>
> BUT...
>
> Apache is sucking up 90-95% of my CPU pretty consistently,
> and when I make a request (http://localhost...) including
> trying to run PerlConsole, it hangs.  No error message, no
> 404 Page Not Found, nothing.  It just hangs and sucks CPU
> cycles until I shut down Apache.
>
> Running on Win XP.
>
> Any advice?  (Please spare me the "get off Windows"
> advice, though.  I don't have a choice.)

These errors are hard to track down, but if it's
a problem with mod_perl, unfortunately the answer
you'll get is to upgrade - the latest IndigoPerl
was released on Feb 27th, 2005, and the earliest
mod_perl-2 release that incorporated
a major rename of modules was on Apr 14th, 2005
(and since then, there's been a number of bug fixes).

I'd suggest, if you want to use mod_perl, not to
start with the mod_perl version that comes with
IndigoPerl, as there's been many incompatible
changes since then. Instead, try installing:

- the latest ActivePerl 8xx build (currently 817) from
     http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/

- the latest Apache/2.2.x (currently 2.2.2) from
     http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi

Using the latest ActivePerl is important for dealing
with some thread-related bugs that were present in
earlier Perl versions. Apache/2.2 also contains
some improvements over the Apache/2.0.48 that comes with
IndigoPerl. Both ActivePerl and Apache are .msi
installs - for later convenience, if it doesn't
affect anything else, it might be better to install
them into a location that doesn't have spaces
in the directory name (eg, C:\Perl and C:\Apache2).

Once you have these installed, mod_perl can be installed
via (all on one line)
  C:\> ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/mod_perl-2.2.ppd
This will run a post-install script to install the
mod_perl.so Apache module - this should go in, eg,
C:\Apache2\modules.

You can then test out the installation as described at
    http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/config.html

--
best regards,
Randy Kobes

Re: More noob problems

Posted by Foo Ji-Haw <jh...@extracktor.com>.
Ever considered using ActivePerl instead? It's rather well supported.

Re: More noob problems

Posted by Jonathan Vanasco <mo...@2xlp.com>.

On Jun 19, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Rob Allen wrote:

> Apache is sucking up 90-95% of my CPU pretty consistently, and when
> I make a request (http://localhost...) including trying to run
> PerlConsole, it hangs.  No error message, no 404 Page Not Found,
> nothing.  It just hangs and sucks CPU cycles until I shut down Apache.

it sounds like you could have an endless loop in your perl code -
either some perl module /script that is loaded or inline perl that is
in your httpd.conf

does windows have the facility to tail the apache logs?  thats my
first suggestion to see where/how you're hanging