Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Voytenko, Dimitry" <DV...@SECTORBASE.COM> on 2001/02/17 20:55:16 UTC

Xalan J 2.0 and external objects

Hi,

XSLT fragment:

<xsl:variable name="today" select="java:java.util.Date.new()"/>
<H1>
  <xsl:value-of select="$today"/>
</H1>

Will cause to output:
<H1>Sat Feb 17 11:49:32 PST 2001</H1>

So it outputs string represenation of external object.
I understand that you haven't support XSLT 1.1 specification yet, but anyway
it says (14.3):
-----
An external object may only be passed as an argument to another extension
function. It may not be copied to the result tree or converted (implicitly
or explicitly) to any of the XPath data types.
-----

I'm just afraid it can cause problems with compatibility for style-sheets

Thanks,
Dmitry E. Voytenko