Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org> on 2021/04/23 11:27:48 UTC

[ALC] ALC Indore Event (April 2021)

Hello everyone,

The ALC [1] Indore Chapter [2] is planning to organize numerous workshops
on 'The Apache Way 101'. Through this workshop, we will spread awareness
about the The Apache Way and try to help people make their first
contribution to any of the Apache project. During these workshops, we will
be conducting numerous sessions on various related topics.

As per ALC Event guidelines [3], we would like to request PMC approval for
these upcoming ALC Indore Events.

The workshop will be of 2 weeks duration and cover the following topics:
Week 1:
1. Open-source software
   a. History
   b. Why you should know Open Source?
   c. Why one should contribute to Open Source?
   d. Perceptions Blocking contribution
   e. How can one contribute?
   f. Where to start?
2. Open Source License ( Copyleft/ Copyright )
3. CLA
4. Open Source opportunities
   a. Internships
   b. Jobs
5. Open Source Foundations & their role
6. Apache Software Foundation
7. ASF - Brief History
8. Apache Project Ecosystem
   a. Resources - Mailing list, GitHub Repos, etc
   b. Community - PMC, Committer, Contributors, and Users
9. Apache Way
10. Apache Incubator
11. Where to start?

Week 2:
Apache OFBiz
 a. Brief introduction
 b. Setup
 c.  Documentation (Readme and confluence )
 d. Build tools (Gradle)
 e. Understanding the control flow
 f. Controller, screens, services & events

Following will be the speakers:
1. Aditya Sharma
2. Praveen Sharma
3. Priya Sharma
4. Sourabh Jain

We will take some open registrations (through Google forms) as well as
registrations from students specific to colleges for this event. We already
have some interested candidates to join this workshop and plan to have our
first workshop from 26th April 2021, Monday to 8th May 2021, Saturday.
Details of the event can found here[4].

As we will be doing similar events with the same content and speakers, it
would be good if the PMC can allow us to conduct further events based upon
the current approval. We will continue to follow the other ALC Event
guidelines [3] and continue to post updates on the same email thread.

[1] https://s.apache.org/alc
[2] https://s.apache.org/alc-indore
[3] https://s.apache.org/alc-guidelines
[4] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/FpmNCg

Thanks and Regards,
Aditya Sharma
ALC Indore Chapter Lead

Re: [ALC] ALC Indore Event (April 2021)

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Swapnil,

> Also, I am preassuming you will create a separate wiki page for each event at
> https://s.apache.org/alc-indore-events for reference purposes.
Yes. We will be creating a separate page for each event.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Aditya Sharma

Posted by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>.
+1 to proceed.

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

> I noticed the stats are not quite up to date. I have a little script that I use to generate ASF stats, that injects the values into the slides I use. Currently there are 234 IPMC members and 36 podlings.
We will definitely try to keep them up to date.

> Great overview and introduction to the Incubator here.
Thank you for your kind words :)

>  Only things I see perhaps missing is the importance of branding.
We will definitely add some content around it.

>  I think I recognise some of the content :-)
Yes, we took some great references for this :)

--
Thanks and Regards,
Aditya Sharma

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

See inline below

> Great work on the slides, it give a good overview and it nicely simplifies some complex ideas. I have some feedback, feel free to apply or not as you see fit.
Thank you so much for reviewing the content and providing such
valuable inputs! They all make sense to me, we will definitely try to
add them all in our current slides.

> - 18 (How Apache projects work?). ASF members also elect the board. I think committer vote on code is possible misleading. ASF project exist for their users so saying that have no formal governance is probably not needed and possibly implies a hierarchy where one shouldn’t exit.
We have taken this image from apache.org only, please refer to [1].
Mostly we do not go into these details for college graduates, we only
cover information about the project community i.e. role of Users,
Contributors, Committers, and PMC.

> I also notice the agenda mentioned the Incubator but I don’t see that mentioned in the slides.
I think we may have missed upon removing it from the agenda.
Initially, we did include it, but then we realized that for a 1-hour
session it was already too much new information when delivered to a
college graduate. We do include it when we deliver it to an audience
having professionals see slide 17 of this event[2].

In this workshop, we do intend to cover some aspects of Apache
Incubator. Much of the content will be taken from the presentation[3]
I delivered at Apache Con 2020.

> Are these slides under version control somewhere? Perhaps you could consider donating them to the Apache Training project?
No. Currently, we use Google docs to prepare them. Donating to the
Apache Training project sounds like a really good idea. We will
definitely check how this can be done.

1. https://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/orgchart.html

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Thanks for sharing these concerns, Justin!

See inline

> Out of interest - what language will these workshop be in and are they in person or virtual?
It will be in the English language and hosted virtually on Google Meet

> Have you got any ASF member / people who been around for a while to review to provide feedback on the material?
The content is prepared and reviewed by ALC Indore[1] members.

Among which following members are

ASF members:
Aditya Sharma
Pranay Pandey
Swapnil M Mane

PMC Member:
Akash Jain

Committer:
Priya Sharma

Rest other members are also active contributors to Apache OFBiz

For week 1, the content will be almost similar to the slides shared in
our previous events [2] and [3]. For week 2, we are referring to the
existing resources of Apache OFBiz[4] for content.

We will also attach the combined slides to the event page[5] along
with Post Event Report.

4. https://ofbiz.apache.org/
5. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/FpmNCg

--