Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2011/02/11 04:45:25 UTC

Add Guava as a dependency?

Anyone mind if I pull in the Guava library as a dependency for Common? It
has a bunch of very useful utilities - in this particular case the one I'm
itching to use is ThreadFactoryBuilder:

http://guava-libraries.googlecode.com/svn/tags/release05/javadoc/com/google/common/util/concurrent/ThreadFactoryBuilder.html

More info here:
http://code.google.com/p/guava-libraries/

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Add Guava as a dependency?

Posted by Mathias Herberts <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1, Guava is the magical piece that can get rid of all those
UnsupportedEncodingException ...!

Re: Add Guava as a dependency?

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1

Arun

Re: Add Guava as a dependency?

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Feb 11, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Todd Lipcon wrote:

> Cool, seems like enough people are on board. I'll just include this
> in the
> patch for HADOOP-7132 (naming the IPC Reader Threads) since that's
> where I
> wanted to use it.
>
> Can't wait to use this stuff in more patches. I love guava :)

+1 on using Guava, although there was resistance to adding any new
libraries to the classpath. I think that using well designed and
supported libraries is much better than rolling custom code.

-- Owen

Re: Add Guava as a dependency?

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Add Guava as a dependency?