Posted to dev@weex.apache.org by York Shen <sh...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/24 13:37:38 UTC

[DISCUSS][Documentation] How Weex Community Works

Hi, there

I just wrote a page [1] to give a brief introduction about how weex community works. If you are familiar with other ASF’s community, you may already know most of the contents.

Normally, I write documentation on Github without bothering individuals in this mailing list. But this documentation gives an introduction of some essential elements of community including how to be a committer/PPMC and voting procedure. I’d like to discuss the documentation first and then have a formal vote. I have attached some essential parts of the documentation below.

Roles
The meritocracy usually has various roles in Weex community.
User <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#users>, someone who uses Weex
Contributor <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#developers>, also named developer, who contributes to Weex in the form of code, documentation, etc..
Committer <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#committers>, who is given write access to the code repository.
PPMC Member, <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-members> who not only has the privilege of committer, but is also given the right to vote for the community-related decisions and propose an active contributor for committership.

Once selected, the membership of PPMC or committer is lifetime except for the following conditions:
A committer or PPMC member resigns <https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#resign> the his/her membership.
A committer or PPMC member passed away <https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#deceased>, which is a tragic.
The PPMC and ASF Board both agree to remove someone's membership <https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#pmc-removal>  in which case the PPMC should send an email to the board@ mailing list detailing the request for removal and the justification the PPMC has for that removal, and cc: private@weex.apache.org

How to be a Committer
It's PPMC's job to find active committers in active contributors. There is no formal rules about prerequisite of a committer, but generally a committer shall fulfill the following requirement:
Sustained contribution, including but not limited to code, documentation, etc..
Community involvement, including but not limited to participate in discussion through mailing list, interacting with users who has questions.
Passion and interest in mobile or Front-End engineering.

Normally, a PPMC member is elected due to merit for the community, not just technical skill, which is also important, of course.

Read ASF’s policy <https://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html#voting_in_a_new_ppmc_member> for detail.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/-45TBw

Best Regards,
York Shen