Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by robert <ro...@gliesian.com> on 2010/12/12 04:28:49 UTC

CXF in Action

I think you guys should write a "CXF in Action" book... any plans for
it?

-- Robert

Re: CXF in Action

Posted by Yiannis Mavroukakis <im...@gameaccountnetwork.com>.
Well, not that simple :) Would I like to contribute (gratis, I hasten to
add) ? Hell yes. Am I knowledgable enough about CXF? Only to the point of
using it in my corporation...

Y.

RE: CXF in Action

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.
Thank you for the feedback.

RE: CXF in Action

Posted by robert <ro...@gliesian.com>.
Gary,

RE: CXF in Action

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

RE: CXF in Action

Posted by robert <ro...@gliesian.com>.

RE: CXF in Action

Posted by Ron Grimes <rg...@sinclairoil.com>.
Or, if you are a cheap s.o.b., like me, you just go to the publishers site where they always have the source code from the book's examples, and you can download them for free. That's all I really want anyway. I don't want to read 500 pages. Give me a few examples and I'm ready to go. If I want the architectural view, I can usually get that online.

Re: CXF in Action

Posted by robert <ro...@gliesian.com>.

Re: CXF in Action

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Here is my point of view:  (in bullets)

1) There are two fairly good books already available that can help beginners
get over the hump and start working with CXF.   While not as "all encompasing"
as a potential "in action" book written by the developers, they provide a very
good starting point.

2) We do have "decent" documentation already.   I won't kid anyone and say
it's great, but there is a lot of info there.   We also have a bunch of
examples in the kits and such that go even furthur.

3) Writing a book takes a LOT of time.  I'd much rather spend my time actually
working in the code and participating on this list and such.  I've been
approached a couple time by various publisher about writing a book and it's
just not something I WANT to spend my time doing.

4) You won't really make any money writing a book.  If I'm going to pretty
much donate time doing what is essentially documentation, I might as well just
update the official docs on our web site.   That information would then be
available to everyone, not just the small number of people that would buy the
book.

Anyway, that is all my opinion.   If someone DID want to write a book, I would
be more than happy to be a technical reviewer and would even be willing to
help out writing some of the code examples or snippets and such.   However,
it's just not something I would pursue myself.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: CXF in Action

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
How many would pay a small sum $10- $20 for a short webinar (20 minutes
presentation followed by -10-15 minutes discussion ) on one or more
specific topics?

What topics would be the most popular?

Would anyone want to offer these?

Ron

Re: CXF in Action

Posted by Yiannis Mavroukakis <im...@gameaccountnetwork.com>.

Re: CXF in Action

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Re: CXF in Action

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.

RE: CXF in Action

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.
Hi All:

As an author (JUnit in Action http://www.manning.com/tahchiev/ and Spring Batch in Action http://www.manning.com/templier/), I've worked with Manning and I can help shepherd (co-write, edit, introduce, propose) an In Action book.

Who at or around CXF would be available as an author? More than one author is OK. The books I've worked on all had four authors. I can volunteer to write the proposal to Manning but I cannot write the book from scratch.

Gary

CXF in Action

Posted by robert <ro...@gliesian.com>.

Re: CXF in Action