Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Daniel Staal <DS...@usa.net> on 2006/10/01 19:33:13 UTC

Re: sa-learn and "Caught" spams

--As of September 28, 2006 11:05:35 AM -0700, Kelson is alleged to have
said:

> Daniel Staal wrote:
>> Depends on the setup.  For instance, given the explanations above, I'll
>> start a system to automatically learn from my 'checkspam' folder, but
>> not my 'highspam' folder.  I have procmail automatically sort my spam by
>> score, so I can pay extra attention to low-scoring spam.  (Which is more
>> likely to be ham which was misplaced than the high-scoring spam.)
>>
>> So, since I *already* have them separated out, I can avoid the
>> double-check.  ;)
>
> But the final score alone doesn't determine whether something gets
> autolearned.
>
> As Matt pointed out, there are a number of different factors, including
> the mix of head/body tests and the current Bayes score -- and it acts on
> what the score would have been if Bayes had been disabled.
>
> So unless you've filtered on the "autolearn=(ham|spam|no)" tag in the
> X-Spam-Status header, you could be missing some high-scoring spam that
> hasn't already been learned.
>
> You could probably filter your training folder to remove any messages
> where X-Spam-Status contains "autolearn=spam" (assuming, of course, that
> your server takes full control of that header).  That should be
> relatively fast and cut down on the resources used to identify duplicates.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Just as an update, since I'm seeing something interesting...

As an experiment, I set procmail to copy all the 'highspam' that I get that
*doesn't* get autolearned to a separate folder, and have been attempting to
train on that folder daily.

I say 'attempting' because despite these *only* being the emails that had
'autolearn=no' and were definitely spam, in three days sa-learn has yet to
see any useful tokens in one of these messages.  Generally, upon
examination, these messages already are receiving bayes scores of 99% or
better, so it appears that the tokens found are already fully scored.
(Though not all of them have had such high bayes scores.)

I'll be keeping it up for a while; three days isn't much of a test, after
all.  But at this point it appears extra training on messages with scores
over 10 (my high-spam cut-off) doesn't actually do anything.  All relevant
tokens are already learned, at least in a fully-trained and well-tuned
system.

Spam emails scored less than 10 do have a number of messages each day that
have useful tokens, on my system.  Which is to be expected, after all.

Just thought this might be of interest.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.