Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <gg...@seagullsoftware.com> on 2004/07/03 04:15:57 UTC

[general] counting VOTEs

I am counting votes for [codec] and I have a question on counting
binding votes for any Commons sub-project release really. I see (+1)
replies from the following groups of people:

(1) People listed in a given commons sub-project as Members in
project.xml).

(2) Jakarta Commons committers as listed on
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/contributors.html.

(3) People listed in a given commons sub-project as Contributors in
project.xml.

Clearly votes from group 1 are binding. What about from group 2? I can
see that 3 would be non-binding since they lack committer status.

Thanks,
Gary

Re: [general] counting VOTEs

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
(Opinion)

I've always felt that Commons committers have binding votes on these
things, but not contributors. So 1) and 2) are binding, 3) is not.

I can only think of one time when a committer who was not an active
developer on that sub-component -1'd the vote (and added themselves to
the project I think, which is why 2) might as well be binding).

[We also have the global-apache structure that only the PMC votes are
 binding. I'm unsure if other ASF projects split PMC votes up, or if any
 member of the Jakarta PMC would be able to vote on an issue under this
 style. Just to throw in a bit of confusion :) ]

Hen