Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Cem Karan <ck...@arl.army.mil> on 2007/03/08 13:36:56 UTC

What order does subversion follow in walking file trees?

Hi all, I'm doing a long import on a code base, and have just gotten
curious as to how far along in the process I am.  I thought that by
looking at the last line of the output, I'd get an idea as to where
in the directory I am, but then I noticed that subversion doesn't
seem to be walking the file hierarchy in alphabetical order.  Is
there a canonical order that it always follows?  If so, what is it?

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Re: What order does subversion follow in walking file trees?

Posted by Matthew Hannigan <ml...@zip.com.au>.
On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 07:10:25AM -0500, Cem Karan wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2007, at 11:53 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> >As far as I can tell, the order is pretty random. :-/
>
> Yay.  OK, I can work around that, I think, assuming I can figure out
> the python bindings.  It'll be a bit of a hack, but it should work.
> Thanks.

At at guess it's in the order the OS wants to give them
to you, i.e. the same order as "ls -f", which may or may not
be the order it appears bytewise in the directory.

Matt

Re: What order does subversion follow in walking file trees?

Posted by Cem Karan <ck...@arl.army.mil>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.