Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2016/03/02 14:43:22 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5

Version 1.2.4 includes the following changes:

- Report runtime rather than compile time version for OpenSSL
- Fixes to allow continued building with master

The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
and the build was done using tag [2].

The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5 is
 [ ] Stable, go ahead and release
 [ ] Broken because of ...

Thanks,

Mark

[1]
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-connectors/native/1.2.5/
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/native/tags/TOMCAT_NATIVE_1_2_5

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/03/2016 13:43, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Version 1.2.4 includes the following changes:
>
> - Report runtime rather than compile time version for OpenSSL
> - Fixes to allow continued building with master
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5 is
>  [X] Stable, go ahead and release
>  [ ] Broken because of ...

Unit tests pass for APR/native on trunk with Windows binaries from the RC.

Mark

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1: markt, rjung, violetagg

No other votes were cast.

This vote therefore passes.

Thanks to everyone who tested and voted.

I'll start the release now with a view to announcing tomorrow.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/03/2016 13:43, Mark Thomas wrote:
> Version 1.2.4 includes the following changes:
>
> - Report runtime rather than compile time version for OpenSSL
> - Fixes to allow continued building with master
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5 is
>  [ ] Stable, go ahead and release
>  [ ] Broken because of ...

Ping.

We have 2 PMC +1 votes for this but we need a third to get this release
out of the door.

Thanks,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.

> Version 1.2.4 includes the following changes:
>
> - Report runtime rather than compile time version for OpenSSL
> - Fixes to allow continued building with master
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5 is
>  [X] Stable, go ahead and release
>  [ ] Broken because of ...

+1

Regards,
Violeta

Re: tcnative NMAKEmakefiles updates for APR 1.5.2

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/03/2016 21:20, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Am 06.03.2016 um 19:49 schrieb Rainer Jung:
>> I updated the tcnative NMAKEmakefiles and the provided openssl patch for
>> building with APR 1.5.2 and OpenSSL 1.0.2g.
>>
>> Can others please see, whether it still works for them? I did run a
>> build myself, but there are many possible variations of parameters
>> influencing the build, so it would be better if others can have a look
>> before the next release.
>>
>> I did not yet test the resulting tcnative using the Tomcat test suite.
>
> Tests on Windows using TC trunk ran without failure (well except NIO2
> TestHttp11InputBuffer).

Built locally and tests passed for APR/native with trunk. Thanks for
fixing our build script for APR.

Mark

Re: tcnative NMAKEmakefiles updates for APR 1.5.2

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 06.03.2016 um 19:49 schrieb Rainer Jung:
> I updated the tcnative NMAKEmakefiles and the provided openssl patch for
> building with APR 1.5.2 and OpenSSL 1.0.2g.
>
> Can others please see, whether it still works for them? I did run a
> build myself, but there are many possible variations of parameters
> influencing the build, so it would be better if others can have a look
> before the next release.
>
> I did not yet test the resulting tcnative using the Tomcat test suite.

Tests on Windows using TC trunk ran without failure (well except NIO2
TestHttp11InputBuffer).

Regards,

Rainer

tcnative NMAKEmakefiles updates for APR 1.5.2

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 05.03.2016 um 19:54 schrieb Rainer Jung:
> Am 05.03.2016 um 19:18 schrieb Mark Thomas:

>>> +1 to release, thanks for RMing.
>>>
>>> Detailed results especially about unit test failures see below. Nothing
>>> really interesting for APR tests.
>>>
>>> Next time we might build the binaries using APR 1.5.2 or whatever is
>>> latest then.
>>
>> As per [1], that isn't currently possible until the build is updated to
>> work with APR 1.5.2. I don't know how to do that and haven't yet had the
>> time to figure it out.
>>
>> Mark
>>
>> [1] http://markmail.org/message/zhyweb5zrsdd5zuz
>
> Thanks for the info, that slipped my attention. I might have a look.

First impression:

- the build needs a generated file include/private/apr_escape_test_char.h

- the file is generated by first compiling and linking
tools/gen_test_char.c into a binary gen_test_char,

- then run gen_test_char and the output is the wanted file
include/private/apr_escape_test_char.h

- the source code gen_test_char.c is pretty simple and doesn't need any
non system includes, libraries etc. Its output should also not depend on
the details of the Windows version, so succeeding to build it once on
Windows one could also save the resulting
include/private/apr_escape_test_char.h and use it for doing the APR
Windows build. At least as a intermediate step. Of course it would be
nicer to include the header file generation directly in the NMAKEmakefile.

I'll have another look during the next days.

Rainer

-o tools/gen_test_char.lo -c
/shared/build/dev/httpd/sources/apr/1.5.x/r1730659/tools/gen_test_char.c

-no-install    -o tools/gen_test_char tools/gen_test_char.lo    -luuid
-lsendfile -lrt -lsocket -lnsl  -lpthread

tools/gen_test_char >

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 8.3.2016. 9:47, Mladen Turk wrote:
> On 5.3.2016. 19:18, Mark Thomas wrote:

>>> +1 to release, thanks for RMing.
>>>
>>> Detailed results especially about unit test failures see below. Nothing
>>> really interesting for APR tests.
>>>
>>> Next time we might build the binaries using APR 1.5.2 or whatever is
>>> latest then.
>>
>> As per [1], that isn't currently possible until the build is updated to
>> work with APR 1.5.2. I don't know how to do that and haven't yet had the
>> time to figure it out.
>>

> I'll update  windows makefiles (as start) to support latest APR.

LOL. Actually I send that mail last week. Seems it finally get from Drafts folder :)

Cheers
--
^TM

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 5.3.2016. 19:18, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 05/03/2016 09:23, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> Am 02.03.2016 um 14:43 schrieb Mark Thomas:
>>> Version 1.2.4 includes the following changes:
>>>
>>> - Report runtime rather than compile time version for OpenSSL
>>> - Fixes to allow continued building with master
>>>
>>> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
>>> and the build was done using tag [2].
>>>
>>> The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5 is
>>>    [X] Stable, go ahead and release
>>>    [ ] Broken because of ...
>>
>> +1 to release, thanks for RMing.
>>
>> Detailed results especially about unit test failures see below. Nothing
>> really interesting for APR tests.
>>
>> Next time we might build the binaries using APR 1.5.2 or whatever is
>> latest then.
>
> As per [1], that isn't currently possible until the build is updated to
> work with APR 1.5.2. I don't know how to do that and haven't yet had the
> time to figure it out.

I'll update  windows makefiles (as start) to support latest APR.

Regards
--
^TM

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Am 02.03.2016 um 14:43 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> Version 1.2.4 includes the following changes:
>
> - Report runtime rather than compile time version for OpenSSL
> - Fixes to allow continued building with master
>
> The proposed release artefacts can be found at [1],
> and the build was done using tag [2].
>
> The Apache Tomcat Native 1.2.5 is
>   [X] Stable, go ahead and release
>   [ ] Broken because of ...

+1 to release, thanks for RMing.

Detailed results especially about unit test failures see below. Nothing
really interesting for APR tests.

Next time we might build the binaries using APR 1.5.2 or whatever is
latest then.

We might still want to remove some resolved items from TODO.txt and
probably can resolve some more for the next releases.

- Tested with APR 1.5.2 and OpenSSL 1.0.2g
- Platforms Solaris 10 Sparc, SLES 11 64 Bits, RHEL 6 64 Bits
- configure flag "--enable-maintainer-mode"
- Using Java versions 1.8.0_72 for tcnative build, tests/examples
   and TC trunk unit tests
   - Using "-XX:-UseCompressedClassPointers" in combination with
     Java 8 on 64 Bit Linux
- MD5 OK
- signatures OK
- gz and zip for sources consistent
- source dist consistent with svn tag
- config.guess and config.sub from apr 1.5 (copied by buildconf)
   2 years old, not so nice but still OK.
- VERSIONS says OpenSSL 1.0.2g (OK) and APR 1.5.1
   - next time we might build using APR 1.5.2 or whatever is latest then
- recreated release with jnirelease script, results are
   consistent with source dist, except for minor expected diffs in
   CHANGELOG.txt and generated docs
- make succeeds and builds lib
   - some warning, most not problematic.
     In the meantime I fixed all warnings.
   - The warnings in src/sslutils.c were somewhat relevant,
     depending on what retsrictions on the expected function
     parameters we assume:
       src/sslutils.c:634:12: warning: 'proto_len' may be used
       uninitialized in this function
       src/sslutils.c:638:12: warning: 'p' may be used
       uninitialized in this function
- "ant test" succeeds
- unit test results for trunk (apr, nio and nio2),
   - Tests failing for all connectors
     and all platforms:
       - org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.TestCipher
       - org.apache.tomcat.util.net.openssl.ciphers.
         TestOpenSSLCipherConfigurationParser
   - Tests failing for RHEL 6
     NIO org.apache.catalina.core.TestAsyncContextImpl
     NIO org.apache.tomcat.websocket.TestWsWebSocketContainer
     NIO2 org.apache.catalina.core.TestAsyncContextImpl
   - Tests failing on SLES 11 (but I get OutOfMemoryError
     likely because the Linux VM is too small, so the test is
     not really regular):
     - all connectors
       org.apache.catalina.core.TestAsyncContextImpl
       org.apache.tomcat.websocket.TestWebSocketFrameClient
       org.apache.tomcat.websocket.TestWebSocketFrameClientSSL
     - NIO
       org.apache.tomcat.websocket.TestWsWebSocketContainer
     - NIO2
       org.apache.catalina.ant.TestDeployTask (crashed)

Regards,

Rainer