Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by ja...@productive1.com on 2017/03/08 12:28:26 UTC

Business Process Question - Best Way to Handle

Good Morning.  I am looking for the best way in Ofbiz to handle a
business process for one of my clients.

They are a Consumer Electronics Parts Distributor and they sell
replacement parts for items like plasma TVs, refrigerators, etc.  They
have a concept of a "Core" charge.  A core charge is a price they charge
if the core or bad part has not been returned

When they sell the part they add this core charge as a line item but it
is really not an inventory item when the replacement part.  If the core
or bad part is returned then the core charge is removed from the
invoice.  They have to track that the which order the core was returned
from as well as which customer.

The core now goes into inventory as a bad part but can not go back in
with the original part number

Now if the core is not returned the customer is responsible for the
original core charge.

Anyone have experience in this industry or based on the brief
description above suggest the best way OFbiz can handle this process.

Thanks in Advance!

James

Re: Business Process Question - Best Way to Handle

Posted by Craig Parker <cr...@fossfolks.com>.
I haven't gotten this far yet into OFBiz, but I'm already wondering the
same kind of thing. Is there something like an item class you can create
where things go on the invoice but there's no inventory? Things like
labor, service charges, core charges, etc. I've seen in the ERP I work
with now "generic" items, but they still get tracked inventory-wise;
they're more for those big buckets of miscellaneous tools you see in
auto stores near the front counter.