Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by dave <ce...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/07 00:59:29 UTC

how to restrict validation to part of the W3C schema?

I would like to restrict the validation only to part
of my XML schema. I do not want to validate anything
under certain Element, say 'noValidation'. This
element in turn contains an XML(which is WellFormed
but not Valid) for which there is no schema for
whatever reason. But I would want to parse the XML
under 'noValidation' element.

Here're my questions:
 1. How would I specify in the Schema that
'noValidation' element should not get validated? Is
using ANY a valid use case in this situation although
it's not used for Schema extension purpose here? CDATA
may not be a good choice because I would NOT be able
to parse anything under 'noValidation'.

 2. How do I handle this situation using XmlBeans?

Cheers!
dave

Re: how to restrict validation to part of the W3C schema?

Posted by Pete Cordell <pe...@codalogic.com>.
Original Message From: "dave"

> I would like to restrict the validation only to part
> of my XML schema. I do not want to validate anything
> under certain Element, say 'noValidation'. This
> element in turn contains an XML(which is WellFormed
> but not Valid) for which there is no schema for
> whatever reason. But I would want to parse the XML
> under 'noValidation' element.
>
> Here're my questions:
> 1. How would I specify in the Schema that
> 'noValidation' element should not get validated? Is
> using ANY a valid use case in this situation although
> it's not used for Schema extension purpose here? CDATA
> may not be a good choice because I would NOT be able
> to parse anything under 'noValidation'.

>From an XSD point of view, xs:any should be fine, perhaps nested within an
element.  e.g.

<xs:element name='nonValidated'>
    <xs:complexType><xs:sequence>
        <xs:any namespace='##any' processContents='skip'
            minOccurs/maxOccurs etc. />
    </xs:sequence>...

The fact that it is not being used as an extension is not an issue.  For
example, one use-case of this sort of thing is including chunks of XHTML
within an XML file.

HTH,

Pete Cordell
Codalogic