Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/13 00:36:43 UTC

[WWW]Forum landing page

The forum landing page still have the incubator logo:

http://forum.openoffice.org/

I think it needs to be replaced by the Apache logo.

Regards
Ricardo

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/27/2013 03:33 PM, schrieb janI:
> On 27 July 2013 14:36, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>
>> Am 07/27/2013 01:21 PM, schrieb janI:

>>> Super, I hope they corrected it for the other vm_team members as well.
>>>
>>> Infra has indeed been very helpfull in keeping our forum server alive, in
>>> mid term however it is our own duty to maintain the vm and as good as
>>> possible to prevent these drop outs.
>>>
>>> I have been thinking about making a wiki page, which list all our services
>>> (both infra provided and our own) and for each service have columns
>>> describing:
>>>
>>> - Who is technically maintaining the appl (typically a main person and
>>> backup)
>>> - Who is maintaining UI etc. (typically many people)
>>> - Who is maintaining the vm (typically a main person and infra as backup)
>>> - Who can restart the appl in case of a drop out (typically vm_team and
>>> infra)
>>>
>>> and of course who to contact in case of problems.
>>>
>>> Would that be helpfull ?
>>>

>> ahm, not really if the Wiki is down and you want to see who is needed to
>> restore. ;-)
>>

> you got the golden 2ct, for the best reply of the day....how could I
> overlook something that obvious.

Oh, thanks. ;-)

>> I would prefer a webpage in our "openoffice.apache.org" project space.
>> The websites are the most stable ones I can remember.
>
> +1
>
>> To keep it more in private - as names, IDs, mail address are mentioned -
>> do not link it anywhere.
>
> you mean do not link to it from anywhere and just announce the url here on
> the dev list ?

Due to the content I think the private@ ML is better.

Marcus

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 6:33 AM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 27 July 2013 14:36, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:
>
> > Am 07/27/2013 01:21 PM, schrieb janI:

> is

> it
> Forum
> >>>

> >> Super, I hope they corrected it for the other vm_team members as well.
> >>
> >> Infra has indeed been very helpfull in keeping our forum server alive,
> in
> >> mid term however it is our own duty to maintain the vm and as good as
> >> possible to prevent these drop outs.
> >>
> >> I have been thinking about making a wiki page, which list all our
> services
> >> (both infra provided and our own) and for each service have columns
> >> describing:
> >>
> >> - Who is technically maintaining the appl (typically a main person and
> >> backup)
> >> - Who is maintaining UI etc. (typically many people)
> >> - Who is maintaining the vm (typically a main person and infra as
> backup)
> >> - Who can restart the appl in case of a drop out (typically vm_team and
> >> infra)
> >>
> >> and of course who to contact in case of problems.
> >>
> >> Would that be helpfull ?
> >>

> > ahm, not really if the Wiki is down and you want to see who is needed to
> > restore. ;-)
> >

> you got the golden 2ct, for the best reply of the day....how could I
> overlook something that obvious.
>

> > I would prefer a webpage in our "openoffice.apache.org" project space.
> > The websites are the most stable ones I can remember.
> >

> +1

+1 from me on this idea also...

> > To keep it more in private - as names, IDs, mail address are mentioned -
> > do not link it anywhere.
>

> you mean do not link to it from anywhere and just announce the url here on
> the dev list ?
>

> >  I do however think, I need to permission of the involved people to make
> >> such a list ?
> >>

> > Depends on how many private data - needed to reach the respective people
> > directly and fast - we need to collect.
> >

> I would say apache id and IRC id. Mobile would be too much (at least for
> me).

This is a good start -- just some way of contacting them, or apprising them
at any rate.

> rgds
> jan I.
>

> > My 2 ct.
> >
> > Marcus

MzK

Success is falling nine times and getting up ten."
                             -- Jon Bon Jovi

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 28 July 2013 19:38, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> >> http://openoffice.apache.org/pmc-faqs.html#moderator>
> in

> >> An outdated page versus a page that doesn't exist yet?   I guess I
> >> don't care, so long as in the end there is a single place to go for
> >> this info.
> >>

> > Well I could say the same, a page only a few knows that contains quite a
> > lot of diifferent information, and where the maintenance part is outdated
> > (doesnt even contain the services we offer), or a new page with the sole
> > purpose of information who is doing the job.

> private
> >> https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/pmc/openoffice>

> >> emergency

> >> page
> >> >

> >> We should be using existing tools like the mailing list and BZ and IRC
> >> for admin requests and reporting outages.  I don't think we want to
> >> encourage direct emails.
> >>

> > hmm, if thats the case then there are no purpose of telling who is doing
> > the job...then we all just scream help on whatever list and hope the
> right
> > person reads its. On the other hand, if we want to identify the people
> > doing the job I have only found the mailId as a common dominator, if you
> > have another id then please tell me.
> >

> I don't recall ever seeing the mailing list down.  So that seems to be
> a solid solution. It has the advantage that we can check email from
> any device from any location.

I have only seen it down a couple of times, but not long enough to really
disturb anybody.

> Using BZ for outages, would be at least interesting, on a good day it
> would
> > take 2-3 weeks before I became aware of the problem. I think for outages
> BZ
> > is not really the suited. IRC might be suited, but I seldom see people
> who
> > can do something in there. Maybe I am just negative, but at least I have
> > nearly a full year experience with AOO (and 25+ with other systems) and
> all
> > ourages an until today I have not received a single outage request from
> BZ
> > or IRC.
> >

> >> The real goal, IMHO, should be making sure that the responsible party
> >> can easily find out what issues/requests are related to their area.
> >> This could be done by using the dev list for all such requests.  It
> >> could also be done by having BZ areas for such requests, something we
> >> do have today in most cases.
> >>

> > I honestly think that the responsible party know what their area are, I
> > think it is more important the informing part knows where to inform.
> >
> > I take your word for using BZ and dev@, since it saves me the work of
> > making a list. But bear in mind that I (as an example) from time to time
> > only read dev mail with 72 hours interval, do you really want to wait
> that
> > long to get a server restarted ?
> >

> >> So I would recommend just listing names or Apache ID's (robweir, etc.)
> >> without mailto: hyperlinks, for reference.
> >>

> > now you confuse me, you have just argued to use BZ and dev list, so no
> need
> > for specific names ?
> >

> Sorry for the confusion. I'm suggesting listing names, but not email
> address.  The idea is to not make it trivial for someone to click and
> send an email.  Remember, we're still dealing with the masses who are
> looking for the easy way to technical support. As BZ admin I receive
> quite a few product support questions sent to the admin address.
> Ditto to the list help address.  So make it sufficient for project
> members to know who owns the area, but not so simple that any random
> person will use it.

I see your point, but that also means to me, that there are no reason to
list the people (listing the people reveals their email addresses).

> Remember, in many areas we have more than one authorized person who
> can fix things.  But we also all take vacations.  Sending an outage
> message to personal email has two problems:
>

> 1) It does not let others on the dev list know about the outage or
> that it has already been reported. This leads to a cascade of more
> notifications sent, to the general annoyance of everyone.

you are right about that, but that has more or less been the practical
aproach while I have been monitoring our vms and with remarkable few
"wrong" mails.

> 2) If the person notified is not available, due to vacation or
> whatever, the fix is delayed even further.
>

> So I recommend sending all such issues to BZ if it is not urgent or to
> the dev list if it is urgent.  Sometimes I'll even put the dev list
> and the person both into the address list if it is urgent, hoping to
> escape some level of auto-filing in the mail clients.
>
> Another approach would be to create an admin@openoffice.apache.org
> mailing list for such things.  If all admins subscribed to that list
> it would be equally efficient.

Creating an admin@ would solve a lot of issues, but would equally open for
the support questions which you fear.

You have convinced me, I just wanted to provide a way to make sure our
services have an even higher attention and thereby higher availability.
Look at the forum issue, we had a whole mail thread, where the solution was
a one-liner in mysql.ini, but it seems that either nobody felt responsible
or the responsible persons did not read the mail list.

But you are right, I would not like to have my mailbox flooded with user
questions, so lets just leave things as they are.

rgds
jan I.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 28 July 2013 18:33, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2013, at 8:43 AM, janI wrote:

> >> http://openoffice.apache.org/pmc-faqs.html#moderator>
> in

> >> An outdated page versus a page that doesn't exist yet?   I guess I
> >> don't care, so long as in the end there is a single place to go for
> >> this info.
> >>

> > Well I could say the same, a page only a few knows that contains quite a
> > lot of diifferent information, and where the maintenance part is outdated
> > (doesnt even contain the services we offer), or a new page with the sole
> > purpose of information who is doing the job.
>
> If this is a new page then it should be called "Infrastructure" and be
> linked to from the left nav in the Community section of the project site.

Agreed, I actually get quite confused by the difference between
www.openoffice.org and openoffice.apache.org, I wonder if the users share
the confusion.

I agree with both name of link.

> Once the page is created and we are happy with it we can update the PMC
> facts by replacing the duplicate content with a link.

if/when the page is made it will be available on people.a.o/~jani and
aquire lazy consensus, before moving it anywhere.

Rob raised some very valid doubts, if a detailed listing is wanted, and I
would like to see what other people think.

rgds
jan I.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On Jul 22, 2013 11:31 PM, "Andrea Pescetti" <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> janI wrote:

>>> Terry left so imacat is the only one.
>>
>> I suspected that, but was not sure if andrea also had access.
>

> I have access to both the forum (meaning that I have an account for web
login there) and the machine hosting it (SSH access), but in both cases I
have normal user privileges, so I cannot administer either the forum or the
machine hosting it.

you should also have karma to reboot and/or restart the form, which is all
you need for a quick problem solving. when the vm_team was started we got a
mail with allowed commands from gncdonald (I might have copied the
commands). I dont have access to my old mails.

so we are down to imacat (at least for the moment) for changing backup
strategy.

rgds
jan i.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 22 July 2013 22:59, Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net> wrote:

> Le 21/07/2013 20:00, janI a écrit :
>
>> I am not sure who is actively administrating phpBB. The phpBB group only
>> contains imacat and terrye.
>>

> Terry left so imacat is the only one.

I suspected that, but was not sure if andrea also had access.

imacat told me earlier that she is busy until end of this month, so I take
it will have to wait.

We should however have a discussion again, about server support, the team
we setup does not really work (at least seen from my POW).

rgds
jan I.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=122794

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 21 July 2013 16:48, Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net> wrote:

> Le 21/07/2013 15:36, janI a écrit :
>

>> While I was in there I also checked the backup, there are no backup of the
>> www only of the db. Meaning a dead disk and we can start from scratch. Is
>> that really a wanted situation (considering it has been like this for
>> years) ?
>>

> What do you mean?
> I understand that the db has a backup, correct? So in case of crash we can
> restart.

Yes there is a daily backup of the database.

but NOT of the www, and looking at the files, many seem adapted to our
needs. I updated index.php with changes from andrea and today with another
request.

On sites where I am admin, such changes are kept in svn, so we have the
history, on forums neither svn or standard backup is in place. www exist
only on the filesystem of the vm.

> In the past (before the move to Apache servers), there was of course
> periodic backups. I thought that this had been covered when the move
> occurred, even if we lost at that time our main [rather only] administrator.

Maybe its handled differently on the forum vm, but when I look in runbook
(place where infra document things like what to do if wm dies) I found no
answers.

rgds
jan I.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 21 July 2013 15:30, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 07/21/2013 03:28 PM, schrieb janI:
>
>  On 21 July 2013 15:14, Ricardo Berlasso<rg...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>  One small detail: the second icon above the custom google search, the one
>>> pointing to the mailing lists page, still uses the "incubator.apache"
>>> address.
>>>

>>>  I quess you mean:
>>
>>   <a title="AOO eMail List Information" href="
>> http://incubator.apache.org/**openofficeorg/mailing-lists.**html<http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html>
>> ">

>> does
>> not respond as I thought it would.

> ".

thx a lot.

Its changed !

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Ricardo Berlasso <rg...@gmail.com>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Ricardo Berlasso <rg...@gmail.com>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 20 July 2013 23:04, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2013, at 12:39 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> >> Anyone working on this? It will be perfect if the page is fixed before
> 4.0
> >> release.
> >
> > I have access to that machine and I prepared the files there, but I
> don't have enough privileges to actually put them online.
> >
> > It is enough that someone with sudo access to ooo-forums.apache.orgruns:
> > $ sudo cp /home/pescetti/www/apache-logo.png /var/www/
> > $ sudo cp /home/pescetti/www/index.php /var/www/
> > to fix it (then the files owner can be set as it is now,
> www-data:www-data for the PNG file and www-data:phpbb for the PHP file).
> >
> > If someone wants to provide a 300x100 pixels replacement for
> > http://forum.openoffice.org/forum-logo.png
> > I can make it available on that machine too if this helps as an
> intermediate step.
>
> IRC with asfinfra.

No need  for that, its done.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: [WWW]Forum landing page

Posted by Ricardo Berlasso <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/1/13 RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>

> The forum landing page still have the incubator logo:
>
> http://forum.openoffice.org/
>
> I think it needs to be replaced by the Apache logo.
>
> Regards
> Ricardo

Anyone working on this? It will be perfect if the page is fixed before 4.0
release.

Note that this page is not on svn, so only few people have access to its
source (Imacat and Drew, I think).

Regards
Ricardo