Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bruce Kostival <bk...@universallumpers.com> on 2014/12/18 23:28:01 UTC

GoDaddy SSL cert update from SHA1 to SHA2

Tomcat 6.0.x
Windows Server 2008
Running Java 7
Home grown app written in STS

Running HTTPS with SHA1 cert
Obtained SHA2 cert from GoDaddy by sending CSR generated from original keystore.  Removed existing aliases from original keystore and loaded new root and domain cert to keystore.
Trying to run up the new cert gives me this error:

SEVERE: Error starting endpoint
java.io.IOException: jsse.invalid_ssl_conf
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.checkConfig(JSSESocketFactory.java:846)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.init(JSSESocketFactory.java:522)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.createSocket(JSSESocketFactory.java:156)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.init(JIoEndpoint.java:538)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.start(JIoEndpoint.java:565)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol.start(Http11Protocol.java:207)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(Connector.java:1196)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:540)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:754)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: No available certificate or key corresponds to the SSL cipher suites which are enabled.

I feel like I'm missing something basic in the keystore.  Any ideas?

Re: GoDaddy SSL cert update from SHA1 to SHA2

Posted by Bruce Kostival <bk...@universallumpers.com>.
And how do I get the Private Key back?  Its definitely not there.

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Bruce Kostival <
bkostival@universallumpers.com> wrote:

> Thanks Igor I'll poke around based on your input.

generate the new CSR by removing the old aliases from the keystore.

Re: GoDaddy SSL cert update from SHA1 to SHA2

Posted by Bruce Kostival <bk...@universallumpers.com>.

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Bruce,

On 12/18/14 5:28 PM, Bruce Kostival wrote:
> Tomcat 6.0.x Windows Server 2008 Running Java 7 Home grown app
> written in STS
>
> Running HTTPS with SHA1 cert Obtained SHA2 cert from GoDaddy by
> sending CSR generated from original keystore.  Removed existing
> aliases from original keystore and loaded new root and domain cert
> to keystore. Trying to run up the new cert gives me this error:
>
> SEVERE: Error starting endpoint java.io.IOException:
> jsse.invalid_ssl_conf at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.checkConfig(JSSESocketFactory.java:846)

at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.init(JSSESocketFactory.java:522)
> at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.createSocket(JSSESocketFactory.java:156)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.init(JIoEndpoint.java:538)
> at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint.start(JIoEndpoint.java:565)
> at
> org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol.start(Http11Protocol.java:207)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(Connector.java:1196)
> at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:540)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:754)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:595) at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at
> sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) at
> java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:289) at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:414)
> Caused by: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: No available certificate or
> key corresponds to the SSL cipher suites which are enabled.
>
> I feel like I'm missing something basic in the keystore.  Any
> ideas?

The you use the original (old) key to generate the new CSR? If so, do
you still have the old private key? (Your later reply seems to
indicate that you no longer have the private key). If you don't have
the private key anymore, you will have to generate a new one and go
through the whole process again.

I always make it a point to start over from scratch when obtaining a
new certificate even when I'm not using Java Keystores, which seem to
be unnecessarily finicky.

If you have to do it all over again, move the old keystore out of the
way (e.g. re-name it to keystore.backup-[date]) and create a new
keystore, private key, and CSR. Send the CSR to the CA and then import
the certificate and chain they give back to you. That should be all
you need to do.

- -chris