Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.INVALID> on 2023/01/08 16:59:26 UTC

Plugin Portal: Map Apache NetBeans project roles to pp3 roles

Hi all,

there were now multiple discussion about admin and verifier access to
the plugin portal. To ease this, I have created this PR:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans-tools/pull/60

It will basicly map the two Apache NetBeans project roles to roles in
the plugin portal:

PMC members will automatically gain admin access
Committer members will automatically gain verifier access

It should be remembered, that PMC membership implies committer access,
so all PMC members can automatically act as verifiers.

The members need to login with the Apache OAuth login system and are
then granted the corresponding permissions on the fly.

The option to register separater admin/reviewer permissions is retained
and there is a difference between an automatically mapped verifier and
an explicitly registered verifier: Only the latter will get email
notifications. The automatically mapped reviewers need to access the
list of open verifications via the "Verification requests" menu entry.

I'd like opinions and/or reviews.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Plugin Portal: Map Apache NetBeans project roles to pp3 roles

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
this is awesome!

going to take a look at the PR later to refresh my PHP knowledge :)

-mbien

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 8 Jan 2023 at 17:00, Matthias Bläsing
<mb...@doppel-helix.eu.invalid> wrote:
> there were now multiple discussion about admin and verifier access to
> the plugin portal. To ease this, I have created this PR:
>
> https://github.com/apache/netbeans-tools/pull/60
>
> It will basicly map the two Apache NetBeans project roles to roles in
> the plugin portal:
>
> PMC members will automatically gain admin access
> Committer members will automatically gain verifier access
>
> It should be remembered, that PMC membership implies committer access,
> so all PMC members can automatically act as verifiers.
>
> The members need to login with the Apache OAuth login system and are
> then granted the corresponding permissions on the fly.

Fantastic!  Many thanks for looking at this.  Haven't looked at the
implementation, but principle is great.  That's how the permissions
should map, with or without this, in my opinion.  Automating it based
on Apache OAuth rather than requiring requests seems better and more
inline with other things.

We should perhaps have a general policy that no-one should verify
(review) their own plugins?

> The option to register separater admin/reviewer permissions is retained
> and there is a difference between an automatically mapped verifier and
> an explicitly registered verifier: Only the latter will get email
> notifications. The automatically mapped reviewers need to access the
> list of open verifications via the "Verification requests" menu entry.

Might be good to consider a way for people to opt in to those
notifications in future, if there isn't one?

Personally, I still have some reservations about having verifiers who
are not committers.  And only having admin / verifier access via the
Apache OAuth might be a good thing in future?

Best wishes,

Neil