Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Clark Dorman <cl...@nextcentury.com> on 2005/08/04 21:53:27 UTC

Client / server separation in WSDL2Java

I am using axis on both the client and server side, but I am having a
problem with the relationship between them.  In particular, I want to
separate out the code but WSDL2Java puts them in the same directory and
the namespaces are off.  I use ant as my builder.  Here's the

  + src

       + client

              WidgetClient.java  -- this is going to call the service

       + server

              Widget.java    -- This is an object that gets passed over
the service

              WidgetPrice.java  -- Service interface.  This is what I
want exposed.

When I run Java2WSDL, I get a WidgetPrice.wsdl in the server directory.
That's fine.  The problem is how to run WSDL2Java.  What I want to get
deploy.wsdd and WidgetPriceSoapBindingImpl in the _server_ directory and
get WidgetPriceService, WidgetPriceServiceLocation,
WidgetPriceSoapBindingStub in the _client_ directory.

It looks like all the examples mix up the client and server, and also
tend to copy everything out into a work directory.  I would really like
to be able to do it in-place.  This is because of CVS (need to be able
to check it all in) and because it is part of a much larger project, so
I really don't want to have to temporarily copy everything over
someplace else.

The other problem is what happens to Widget during this process.
WSDL2Java adds a lot of code to it.  If I then have to run Java2WSDL, it
breaks on the generated code within Widget.java.

Clark