Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by jason <li...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/31 04:45:32 UTC

GSoC Proposal:Implement the SOAP/JMS specification for CXF

Hi all,

    I want to take part in the GSoC. Aftter looking into the suggestions by Daniel Kulp, I have modified my proposal and published this proposal on GSoC.
I have published my proposal about cxf-soapjms on http://wiki.apache.org/general/soc2009-soapjms-proposal. The GSoC page is here:

http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/user/liucong/cxf_soapjms

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Thank You,
Liu Cong

Re: GSoC Proposal:Implement the SOAP/JMS specification for CXF

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Tue March 31 2009 1:24:37 pm liucong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have started to consider other ideas.

If you (or any of the other students) are considering another option, the
soap/tcp project is, in some ways, a bit easier than the soap/jms project.  A
few  reasons:

1) The soap/tcp thing really is limitted to soap/tcp per the soap/tcp spec
where as the JMS transport in CXF also does "plain xml" and can do json and
other things.  Thus, you don't need the legacy stuff.

2) Since CXF doesn't support anything like this yet, no need to worry about
back words compatibility.

3) There are already 2 other implementations (metro and a plugin for .net)
that can be used to test interopability with.  One issue with soap/jms is that
since the spec isn't final, there aren't implementations.   Thus, nothing to
really test with.  (other than the not-finished-yet test suite)

That said, the soap/tcp would require a bit more "low level" programming for
wire frames and such, but you could look into Mina to help out there.   Thus,
an opportunity to look at  and work with multiple projects.

That said, there are a lot of really good ideas on the Apache GSoC page:
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2009
that could also span projects.   The cxf-stonehenge (Stonehenge), cxf-sdo
(Tuscany), and cxf-eventpub (Abdera) also can span projects.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: GSoC Proposal:Implement the SOAP/JMS specification for CXF

Posted by liucong <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Since there are more than 2 student choiced CXF-SOAP-JMS, do you
consider to choice other ideas of CXF project ?

Can you give us some reference of your projects or some link can show
your coding ability?

最后能问一句你在北航那个实验室? :)

Willem

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

As Willem mentioned, there are a couple other students thinking about this
project, but you are definitely the first (that I've seen) to start writing up
a proposal and, more importantly, engaging the CXF community to help review
the proposal.  Thus, I'm quite OK with that.

The proposal looks "pretty good".    There are a couple things that might be
good to add though:

1) stretch goal - tooling.   Make sure the tooling has flags (or can recognize
the jms://... address) so that a "java2ws -wsdl"  tool can generate a proper
WSDL for the soap/jms case.   This is a "nice to have", but not required.
Would be a great stretch goal.

2) Mention of the soapjms test suite.  The w3c working group DOES have a test
suite in progress at:
http://dev.w3.org/2008/ws/soapjms/testcases/
A great goal of the project would also be to get CXF to pass that test suite.
HOWEVER, at this time, the official test suite isn't available yet (the link
to the zip is invalid), thus I don't think this can be a "full" goal unless
it's qualified by "if the test suite is available before midterm, then during
the second half, I'll work on getting it to pass." or something.    The
working group CVS repo does have the current state of the tests
(http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2008/ws/soapjms/testcases/) so maybe start with
those.

You MAY also want to grab someone that has better English writing skills to
help proofread the proposal.    Making it easier for the admins that will be
evaluating the proposal to understand is always a good thing.   I'd be happy
to help a little, but proofreading like that really would be easier over a
"live" connection (since the proposal site isn't editable by others).   Maybe
login to the #cxf IRC channel on irc.codehaus.org:6667 and find myself or
Willem or Freeman or someone.   (Willem and Freeman are also Beijing based so
are probably better from a timezone perspective unless you want to be up real
late at night to chat with me.)

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp