Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Pugalia, Jai P (JP)" <jp...@avaya.com> on 2005/07/28 03:47:30 UTC

Tomcat threads - waiting on monitor entry

Hi,

We have an web application running under Tomcat (5.0.28) on Red Hat
Linux and uses Postgres database (8.0).
For database connection pooling we use commons-dbcp (1.2.1) and
commons-pool(1.2.1)

After some time of high-usage, the web application stops responding.

Dumping of the thread stack traces shows several http threads locked in
a particular DBCP call:

"http-8443-Processor10" daemon prio=1 tid=0xa949bb60 nid=0x884 waiting
for monitor entry [a765c000..a765e878]
	at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:187)
	- waiting to lock <0xaf5bcf10> (a java.lang.Class)
	at
com.coreservice.db.PooledDBConnection.getConnection(PooledDBConnection.j
ava:159)

Has anyone else seen these locks? Are we missing something about
DBCP/pool configuration and usage under Tomcat?

Any suggestions?
JP