Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org> on 2017/06/08 20:48:00 UTC

Re: Pull-Requests not worked on

So, there has been some instability in the junit tests recently due to
some big features landing.  This is starting to improve a lot, though,
so hopefully it won't be a problem for much longer.

If you do hit what you think is a bogus unit test failure, you can type
"retest this please" in the PR to trigger another junit run.

It would be good to close some of the stale PRs.  I have some myself
that I should probably close since they have been superseded by
different approaches.

With regard to OSGi specifically, it might be hard to find someone who
has the relevant expertise to review the patch.  Since our understanding
is limited, maybe it makes sense to have  someone else who understands
OSGi repackage the software for that system?  I'm just tossing out ideas
here, though-- I could be wrong.

best,
Colin

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
No, only Apache Infra people have commit rights to the GitHub project. The
Kafka committers push to the Apache Git repo and that gets synced
automatically to GitHub. My understanding is that there is a desire to
avoid a situation where people can push directly to GitHub for provenance
reasons (I don't remember the details).

Ismael

Posted by Jeff Widman <je...@netskope.com>.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi all,

A few clarifications:

1. Anyone can see the console output for a failed job, a login is not
required for that.

2. One of the reasons why some PRs remain open even if they should be
closed is that we have no way to close PRs ourselves without referencing
them in a commit or asking Apache Infra for help. So, abandoned PRs tend to
remain open. This is very frustrating, but there is no solution in sight.

3. As Colin pointed out, the stability of the JUnit tests has improved a
lot in recent weeks. Thanks to everyone who has helped with this.

4. "retest this please" became available once I switched the Jenkins PR
builder to the community one (Apache previously only allowed the usage of
the Cloudbees Enterprise one). I updated the relevant wiki pages and I
think I sent an email to the mailing list at the time.

Ismael

Posted by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com>.