Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/19 07:09:40 UTC

TRAFODION-1839: Trafodion Installer Evolution

Hi,

I've spent a lot of time with the Trafodion Installer during the last few
weeks. It works quite well and makes it easy to install Trafodion once the
Hadoop environment is up and running. Lots of kudos to the people that have
been working on this code!

IMO, you will NOT have any problems installing Trafodion if you are
experiences with provisioning Hadoop distributions and have the required
sysadmin skills that are associated with Hadoop in general.

There is, of course, room for improvement. The achilles' heel of the
current implementation is that it's designed to install on a
development-like environment where it's possible to perform all required
changes in one session. This approach does not work for most IT shops I've
worked with in my career, which often divide up responsibilities and
perform different activities at different times in a planned manner.

With this in mind, I've created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TRAFODION-1839 as an umbrella Jira
that documents on overall blueprint for the next evolution of the Trafodion
Installer.

I'd like to invite anyone that's interested in this topic to comment,
correct, disagree with, and evolve the blueprint into a plan that we can
execute on. As always, I encourage strong opinions that are loosely held. :)

Gunnar