Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Totte Karlsson <to...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/29 02:27:36 UTC

just upgraded to svn 1.5 - confused

Someone said that merges are easy.. I have read the svn book about merges but it
does not help.

I create a branch and I can keep it synchronized with the trunk.
I can even re-integrate the branch with the trunk.

 From now on, it seems the branch is useless since I can't continue working on
it and re-sync with the trunk without getting absolutely nonsense conflicts.. :)

What is the proper, if any, philosophy here? Shall one create a new branch each
time it is re integrated with the trunk?

Any hints helpful...!
Thanks,
Totte

Re: just upgraded to svn 1.5 - confused

Posted by Totte Karlsson <to...@gmail.com>.

> Ff after you re-integrate you merge that rev from trunk with --record-only you can keep using the same branch. But, yes for the most part, "reintegrate" is designed for feature branches which are generally not used/needed after the feature is reintegrated into trunk.

I am sometimes using tortoise svn and I found a peculiar thing!

If I select their reintegrate branch option, both ways it seems to work to sync
branch back to trunk over and over again. By both ways I mean that when syncing
the branch with trunk changes, I use the re integrate option and selects the
trunk, and vice versa..

Is it supposed to work like that? Confusing or what!

Posted by Bob Archer <Bo...@amsi.com>.
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 20:27, Totte Karlsson <to...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Someone said that merges are easy.. I have read the svn book
> about merges
> > but it does not help.
> >
> > I create a branch and I can keep it synchronized with the trunk.
> > I can even re-integrate the branch with the trunk.
> >
> > From now on, it seems the branch is useless since I can't
> continue working
> > on it and re-sync with the trunk without getting absolutely
> nonsense
> > conflicts.. :)
> >
> > What is the proper, if any, philosophy here? Shall one create a
> new branch
> > each time it is re integrated with the trunk?
>
> If you want to keep the branch alive, don't use --reintegrate.
>
> From the fine manual:
>
> "In Subversion 1.5, once a --reintegrate merge is done from branch
> trunk, the branch is no longer usable for further work. It's not
> able
> to correctly absorb new trunk changes, nor can it be properly
> reintegrated to trunk again. For this reason, if you want to keep
> working on your feature branch, we recommend destroying it and then
> re-creating it from the trunk"
>
> You will want to read
> http://svnbook.red-
> bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.advanced.html#svn.branchmerge.a
> dvanced.reintegratetwice
> if you plan on using --reintegrate while keeping the branch around.

Ff after you re-integrate you merge that rev from trunk with --record-only you can keep using the same branch. But, yes for the most part, "reintegrate" is designed for feature branches which are generally not used/needed after the feature is reintegrated into trunk.

BOb

Re: just upgraded to svn 1.5 - confused

Posted by Totte Karlsson <to...@gmail.com>.

> You will want to read
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.branchmerge.advanced.html#svn.branchmerge.advanced.reintegratetwice
> if you plan on using --reintegrate while keeping the branch around.
Thanks! It will save me much time!

Re: just upgraded to svn 1.5 - confused

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 20:27, Totte Karlsson <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Someone said that merges are easy.. I have read the svn book about merges
> but it does not help.
>
> I create a branch and I can keep it synchronized with the trunk.
> I can even re-integrate the branch with the trunk.
>
> From now on, it seems the branch is useless since I can't continue working
> on it and re-sync with the trunk without getting absolutely nonsense
> conflicts.. :)
>
> What is the proper, if any, philosophy here? Shall one create a new branch
> each time it is re integrated with the trunk?

If you want to keep the branch alive, don't use --reintegrate.

>From the fine manual:

"In Subversion 1.5, once a --reintegrate merge is done from branch to