Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> on 2020/02/08 00:05:44 UTC

Projects with glassfish-resources.xml slow to deploy to Payara

Using Payara 5.194, Java 11, MySQL 8 and NetBeans 11.2, all running on the same PC, I have encountered a deployment issue with JSF 2.3 apps that use EclipseLink. For non-JPA apps deployment and bringing up the browser takes seconds. Once I have a glassfish-resources.xml file deployment it takes a minimum of 50 seconds. Arquillian testing that uses glassfish-resources.xml completes in 25 seconds which is reasonable though I suspect it could be faster, these are small sample programs. It's the 50 seconds with a message Deploying that I don't understand. If I deploy the war file manually or by using the Maven Cargo plugin its up and running almost instantly. If I drop the glassfish-resources.xml file into an app that does not have any JPA code it takes 50 seconds.

Before I file a bug report I thought I'd ask if anyone else has encountered this. The server log tells me that the app is deployed in under 2 seconds but NetBeans still shows deploying until we hit 50 seconds. Is it the built in Payara support or is this a Java 11 gotcha. I could ignore NetBeans' deploy and just use Maven but then my students loose the functionality you have when Payara is working out of the target folder. I have using this setup for a few years all the way back to NB 8 without this problem.

I did write up how I got Maven to do the deploy at https://www.omnijava.com/2020/02/05/build-deploy-and-run-in-a-browser-a-web-app-with-maven/ if anyone is interested.

Thanks,

Ken Fogel