Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org> on 2002/05/24 08:59:24 UTC

Preparation for Release

Hi,

I would like to make another alpha release sometime early next week. Theres a
few things that still need to be done if anyones up for it.

* update to proposal style for docs & update website (Leo can you handle
that?)
* make sure the dist target works and produces a distribution with;
  - the binary dist contents
  - the correct READMEs/LICENSEs etc
  - the generated documentation
  - a zip file containing source
* go over docs/readme and make sure all is accurate
* Create a basic distribution and put it up on website somewhere so people can
download it and test it. (Paul could you handle this?)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>Not sure what you mean. Whats wrong with
>
>$ ssh hammant@cvs.apache.org
>bash-2.04$ mkdir public_html
>bash-2.04$ chmod o+rx public_html/
>bash-2.04$ exit
>$ scp somefile.txt hammant@cvs.apache.org:public_html/

My education continues :-)

-ph

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>Hi,
>
>I would like to make another alpha release sometime early next week. Theres a
>few things that still need to be done if anyones up for it.
>
>* make sure the dist target works and produces a distribution with;
>  - the binary dist contents
>  - the correct READMEs/LICENSEs etc
>  - the generated documentation
>  - a zip file containing source

I'll take that.

>* go over docs/readme and make sure all is accurate

And that, but perhaps others should too.

>* Create a basic distribution and put it up on website somewhere so people can
>download it and test it. (Paul could you handle this?)

Yup, OK.  I still have no broadband beyond 118Kbps, but I'll give it a go.

I only have login for cvs.apache.org/home/hammant and it has no htdocs,
so you'll have to copy from there to jakarta.apache.org

- Paul

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

>If you want ;) I tend to use the terms;
>
>* service kernel
>* micro kenerl
>* meta server
>* super server
>etc
>
>all interchangeably ;)

I have thought for a while that we should try to have xdoc pages that
illustrate the different way we think about Phoenix (and the other
projects).  Different poeple might be able to cherry pick one of a
number of explanations and have their eureka moment.  I.e. we should not
necessaraily encourance all terms, or harmonise on one, but have a page
where the contrasts are listsed.

I'll give it a go.  It can always be deleted.

- Paul

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Peter,

I've completed my chores up to a point.  I've nowhere other than
SourceForge I can do uploads to (with invoking the wrath of buddies
whose bandwidth and hosting I'm using for other sites.  Any chance of
getting me an account on jakarta ?

Other things....

I like a line from the README.txt file:

 [phoenix] is a meta-server -  a server kernel on top of which other
servers are built

I've been describing Phoenix as Avalon-Phoenix and that it is a "server
of servers", but I think the term meta-server is more cool.  Perhaps we
should roll it out more.

Regards,

- Paul

Re: daily rotating logs in environment.xml

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 25 May 2002 08:10, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
> Is it possible to configure logging in environment.xml so that content of
> log files will be daily rotating? Are there other similar options for
> logging defined in environment.xml?

Its possible by setting th version of logging configuration to 1.1 like

<logs version="1.1">
 ...stuff...
</logs>

Where  ...stuff... is the Logging configuration used by excaliburs logger
package (which was originally from/for cocoon). I don't use it so I can't
give you a good example - someone else?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

daily rotating logs in environment.xml

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.

> > > I'm experiencing network problems so I can't get to CVS (firewalling
> > > etc). Hope this message does get through...if this hasn't happened
> > > already will see tomorrow.
> >
> > and that tomorrow saw us failing a deadline. I'm now catching up on a
> > lot of stuff (3000 unread and counting),
>
> I was still waiting for it before release but if you haven't got time

it's 1:19am and I'm halfway my e-mail, let alone my TTD list. I said I
would do it, so I will do it if no-one knows how or has time, but it'll
be tomorrow night at 4am or so....

> I will
> have a bash at it. However am in the process of moving house with no
> computers at new home so could take a lil time ;)

you any good with CSS/HTML as well, then? There's no real problem with
the programming side of things, as far as I can see...

Leo, working on a javascript mess the size of...well...phoenix

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

> > > yes. Will do this weekend.
> >
> > I'm experiencing network problems so I can't get to CVS (firewalling
> > etc). Hope this message does get through...if this hasn't happened
> > already will see tomorrow.
>
> and that tomorrow saw us failing a deadline. I'm now catching up on a
> lot of stuff (3000 unread and counting),

I was still waiting for it before release but if you haven't got time I will

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> > > * update to proposal style for docs & update website (Leo can you handle
> > > that?)
> >
> > yes. Will do this weekend.
>
> I'm experiencing network problems so I can't get to CVS (firewalling
> etc). Hope this message does get through...if this hasn't happened
> already will see tomorrow.

and that tomorrow saw us failing a deadline. I'm now catching up on a
lot of stuff (3000 unread and counting), but I basically believe that
Nicola has go centipede running so this is not a big priority anymore?

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
> > * update to proposal style for docs & update website (Leo can you handle
> > that?)
>
> yes. Will do this weekend.

I'm experiencing network problems so I can't get to CVS (firewalling
etc). Hope this message does get through...if this hasn't happened
already will see tomorrow.

- LSD

Re: Preparation for Release

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 08:59, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to make another alpha release sometime early next week. Theres a
> few things that still need to be done if anyones up for it.
>
> * update to proposal style for docs & update website (Leo can you handle
> that?)

yes. Will do this weekend.

> * make sure the dist target works and produces a distribution with;
>   - the binary dist contents
>   - the correct READMEs/LICENSEs etc
>   - the generated documentation
>   - a zip file containing source
> * go over docs/readme and make sure all is accurate

I've looked at the website docs recently; where we have gaps is listed
in bugzilla but I think they're error-free. Can't say for readme or
javadoc.

- leo