Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andreas Pakulat <ap...@gmx.de> on 2006/04/20 21:32:22 UTC

Subclipse move [was: Advice for use of Subversion]

On 20.04.06 16:09:41, Mark Phippard wrote:
> "Clark, Ken" <Ke...@pfizer.com> wrote on 04/20/2006 04:01:23 PM:
> > 3) Assuming that #2 requires careful submission of commands to
> Subversion
> > while moving files -- does Eclipse/Subclipse, IntelliJ 5.x, or some
> other tool
> > do a better job of managing this?
>
> I can speak for Subclipse.  It will capture a copy/move/refactoring
> operation and run the command for you.

I'd like to jump in here and ask you: Are your absolutely sure that
Subclipse does a svn move when moving or renaming a file? I'm asking
because one can't really tell from the list of changed files upon
committing, it only lists the new filename as added and the old one as
deleted - the same is shown when doing svn move on the command line.
That's why I always used svn move on the command line to rename/move
files around.

Andreas

--
Chess tonight.

Re: Subclipse move [was: Advice for use of Subversion]

Posted by Andreas Pakulat <ap...@gmx.de>.
On 20.04.06 20:41:36, Mark Phippard wrote:
> Andreas Pakulat <ap...@gmx.de> wrote on 04/20/2006 05:32:22 PM:

> > > Subversion
> > > other tool
> > >
> > > I can speak for Subclipse.  It will capture a copy/move/refactoring
> > > operation and run the command for you.
> >
> > I'd like to jump in here and ask you: Are your absolutely sure that
> > Subclipse does a svn move when moving or renaming a file?
>
> I am 100% sure.  I am one of the Subclipse project owners.

I suspected that :-)

> > I'm asking
> > because one can't really tell from the list of changed files upon
> > committing, it only lists the new filename as added and the old one as
> > deleted - the same is shown when doing svn move on the command line.
> > That's why I always used svn move on the command line to rename/move
> > files around.
>
> That is because that is the way Subversion lists a move.  The svn move
> command is implemented as a Copy (add) followed by a Delete.  In Eclipse
> if you show the Console view you can see all of the commands we execute
> and their output.

I do know about the svn-console, but it seems I never looked at it after
a move.

Thanks for the info, now I can assure my co-workers that we don't loose
history due to using subclipse :-)

Andreas

--
You may worry about your hair-do today, but tomorrow much peanut butter will
be sold.

Re: Subclipse move [was: Advice for use of Subversion]

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
Andreas Pakulat <ap...@gmx.de> wrote on 04/20/2006 05:32:22 PM:

> On 20.04.06 16:09:41, Mark Phippard wrote:
> > "Clark, Ken" <Ke...@pfizer.com> wrote on 04/20/2006 04:01:23 PM:
> > > 3) Assuming that #2 requires careful submission of commands to
> > Subversion
> > > while moving files -- does Eclipse/Subclipse, IntelliJ 5.x, or some
> > other tool
> > > do a better job of managing this?
> >
> > I can speak for Subclipse.  It will capture a copy/move/refactoring
> > operation and run the command for you.
>
> I'd like to jump in here and ask you: Are your absolutely sure that
> Subclipse does a svn move when moving or renaming a file?

I am 100% sure.  I am one of the Subclipse project owners.

> I'm asking
> because one can't really tell from the list of changed files upon
> committing, it only lists the new filename as added and the old one as
> deleted - the same is shown when doing svn move on the command line.
> That's why I always used svn move on the command line to rename/move
> files around.

That is because that is the way Subversion lists a move.  The svn move
command is implemented as a Copy (add) followed by a Delete.  In Eclipse
if you show the Console view you can see all of the commands we execute
and their output.

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. and SoftLanding Europe Plc by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.