Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/01 19:33:27 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk Runtimes v1.13.0-incubating

Dear IPMC Members,

The Apache OpenWhisk community has voted to release version
1.13.0-incubating of the Apache OpenWhisk Runtimes which comprise the
following 9 project modules with artifacts built from the Git repositories
and commit IDs listed below.

Two binding +1 votes from mentors Matt Sicker and Bertrand Delacretaz carry
over from the podling voting thread. The voting threads are available here
[1]. At least one more +1 vote is needed. We request that IPMC Members
please review and vote on this incubator release as described below.

* OpenWhisk Runtime Docker: 48b8f4a239864edc178eb392a7eef287857a7a96

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-docker/commits/48b8f4a239864edc178eb392a7eef287857a7a96

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-docker-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-docker-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.asc

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-docker-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.sha512

* OpenWhisk Runtime Dotnet: 50df3bad2588c7b37425fad037ae3df73198ca22

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-dotnet/commits/50df3bad2588c7b37425fad037ae3df73198ca22

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-dotnet-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-dotnet-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.asc

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-dotnet-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.sha512

* OpenWhisk Runtime Go: ddd329946c1d061f256a274d6ccd23e527760e06

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-go/commits/ddd329946c1d061f256a274d6ccd23e527760e06

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc2/openwhisk-runtime-go-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc2/openwhisk-runtime-go-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.asc

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc2/openwhisk-runtime-go-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.sha512

* OpenWhisk Runtime Java: 9f27bab28905bdb66dc3526b5843eaaa6f9d026c

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-java/commits/9f27bab28905bdb66dc3526b5843eaaa6f9d026c

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-java-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-java-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.asc

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-java-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.sha512

* OpenWhisk Runtime Node.js: c173d64cba124aeccc5c2c7f5db10bd18f5a03a9

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-nodejs/commits/c173d64cba124aeccc5c2c7f5db10bd18f5a03a9

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-nodejs-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-nodejs-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.asc

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-nodejs-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.sha512

* OpenWhisk Runtime PHP: 9c5d3d779425223488ca0f49100095736853f147

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-php/commits/9c5d3d779425223488ca0f49100095736853f147

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-php-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-php-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.asc

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-php-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.sha512

* OpenWhisk Runtime Python: aaeb2ff494e8785abd7a5fc0ba3d902752c47732

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-python/commits/aaeb2ff494e8785abd7a5fc0ba3d902752c47732

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-python-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-python-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.asc

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-python-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.sha512

* OpenWhisk Runtime Ruby: b1afb74193646d599d363e765d755f2bb28f784c

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-ruby/commits/b1afb74193646d599d363e765d755f2bb28f784c

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-ruby-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-ruby-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.asc

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-ruby-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.sha512

* OpenWhisk Runtime Swift: 019024df95434fb3a4390ee0d88dea78af3fa0c9

https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-swift/commits/019024df95434fb3a4390ee0d88dea78af3fa0c9

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-swift-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-swift-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.asc

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/apache-openwhisk-1.13.0-incubating-rc1/openwhisk-runtime-swift-1.13.0-incubating-sources.tar.gz.sha512

This release is comprised of source code distribution only.

The release keys is available here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/openwhisk/KEYS and this
key has been validated: http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?search=rabbah&op=index

You can use this UNIX script to download the release and verify the
checklist below:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-openwhisk-release.git;a=blob_plain;f=tools/rcverify.sh;hb=HEAD

Usage:
curl -s "
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-openwhisk-release.git;a=blob_plain;f=tools/rcverify.sh;hb=HEAD"
-o rcverify.sh
chmod +x rcverify.sh
rcverify.sh openwhisk-runtime-docker 'OpenWhisk Runtime Docker'
1.13.0-incubating rc1
rcverify.sh openwhisk-runtime-dotnet 'OpenWhisk Runtime Dotnet'
1.13.0-incubating rc1
rcverify.sh openwhisk-runtime-go 'OpenWhisk Runtime Go' 1.13.0-incubating
rc2
rcverify.sh openwhisk-runtime-java 'OpenWhisk Runtime Java'
1.13.0-incubating rc1
rcverify.sh openwhisk-runtime-nodejs 'OpenWhisk Runtime Node.js'
1.13.0-incubating rc1
rcverify.sh openwhisk-runtime-php 'OpenWhisk Runtime PHP' 1.13.0-incubating
rc1
rcverify.sh openwhisk-runtime-python 'OpenWhisk Runtime Python'
1.13.0-incubating rc1
rcverify.sh openwhisk-runtime-ruby 'OpenWhisk Runtime Ruby'
1.13.0-incubating rc1
rcverify.sh openwhisk-runtime-swift 'OpenWhisk Runtime Swift'
1.13.0-incubating rc1

Please vote to approve this release:

  [ ] +1 Approve the release
  [ ]  0 Don't care
  [ ] -1 Don't release, because ...

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of
votes are reached.

-r

[1] Vote threads (I do not know why the vote responses were split up over
so many threads):
https://lists.apache.org/thread
.html/83c641b899de603c27ba44a2f0f29ba9e08853278d199f3b940e89f4@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread
.html/d321cd29b3f6ec5ca91c2725c219023ce2dced4ccfab5a86a6c94b25@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread
.html/fb642f4d5eb0376b6cd0a1a03da3b47a4f51ad7f1ddc3c3455c76ee5@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread
.html/5505cfa49e59b253f07fc0711713a3c5f481ce47036512ec8242c2a7@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread
.html/c496c1f5a72f69c822f973a2263402c6199d2110e6faca28c6239eee@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread
.html/21a850f9d1723dcba5fbb93991dde701e8e07a81eef319a419e0404e@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread
.html/5581068890f3075d0ec732c436caf39ab54370390919c623dc864fe5@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk Runtimes v1.13.0-incubating

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> We tried very hard to only use min-headers in cases where they were config/property/test/simple script type files (often used by tooling).

Which according to [1] is not an appropriate use, you also have source files with the short header. I suggest you check with legal if this is OK.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#is-a-short-form-of-the-source-header-available

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk Runtimes v1.13.0-incubating

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Given the documented rationale of where we use the mini-header (https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release/blob/master/docs/license_compliance.md#project-asf-License-header-policy) are there specific files (types) or specific files themselves where you believe they are not appropriate uses of the header?  We tried very hard to only use min-headers in cases where they were config/property/test/simple script type files (often used by tooling).

thx,
-matt

Re: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk Runtimes v1.13.0-incubating

Posted by David P Grove <gr...@us.ibm.com>.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote on 06/09/2019 09:50:12 AM:

> Sorry to be clearer re the short header issue I suggest you read
> [1]. It may be used with mages, minified JavaScript or PDFs, that’s
> not the case where it’s been used in your releases and this has been
> pointed out several times. If there are other cases where you have
> confirmed with legal-discuss that OK to use then please point them
> out. While this is only a minor issue, but its vest to comply with
> ASF policy. What I consider a little more serious is that issues nee
> reoccurring after they have been pointed out.

Hi Justin,

We did discuss this issue on our dev list [2] and the guidance from our
mentor [3] was that since we had documented the rationale for using short
form headers in additional cases, what we were doing was acceptable. We
have started including the URL of our project policy on header file formats
[4] in all of our release vote emails to refer voters to the project policy
on allowable forms of the license headers.

--dave

[1]
https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#is-a-short-form-of-the-source-header-available
[2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bbec59cc560d446a4239627dcb463bc95fb98be5eb66d525f93e5ef1@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E
[3]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6d25eb12cbfad05693cda729cff62b06ba45845ad53f5d1a67a2ac97@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E
[4]

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ro...@gmail.com>.
> > We've also discussed the use of "short licenses" [5] and we document our
> use of the short licenses
>
> Which I see was some time ago but this keeps happening in your releases.

You are correct that we have an outstanding item to tighten our automated
checks inline with the project's documented policy. But I'm not sure if
you're implying we're doing something wrong. We don't believe the use of
short license is out of line with Apache policy
https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html. We document which files get
short licenses or license exclusions here:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> For several of the issues you noted, I opened github defects [1-4] against the relevant repos so that we will address them before the next release of the corresponding artifacts.

Thanks for that.

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ra...@apache.org>.
For several of the issues you noted, I opened github defects [1-4] against the relevant repos so that we will address them before the next release of the corresponding artifacts. We've also discussed the use of "short licenses" [5] and we document our use of the short licenses and license exclusions (noted for gradle) here [6] per Apache guidance [7].

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-docker/issues/69
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-python/issues/58
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-go/issues/87
[4] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-go/issues/91
[5] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bbec59cc560d446a4239627dcb463bc95fb98be5eb66d525f93e5ef1@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E
[6] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-release/blob/master/docs/license_compliance.md
[7] https://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

> - The go LICENSE incorrectly states you should add "Copyright 2015-2016  IBM Corporation” to your own files
> - the text of the license for Filetype 1.0.5 is not included (as required by it's license). The pointer to the licenses should point to a copy of the license in distribution as licenses and URLs can change over time.

The license was corrected and is now the Apache license with no added text. The references to filetype were no longer relevant but

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ra...@apache.org>.
Thank you Justin for the feedback. I opened several defects to address all the points you've raised.
For reference:

- https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-go/issues/87
- https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-go/issues/86
- https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-runtime-go/issues/85

[RESULT][VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk Runtimes v1.13.0-incubating

Posted by Rodric Rabbah <ra...@apache.org>.
The voting is now closed. The vote has passed.

3 (+1 binding) from Bertrand Delacretaz, Justin Mclean, Matt Sicker
0 (-1 binding)

The vote thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/3bc8d6be4a9c4c7bce6538846a956d379e12a412647cf357521c6f8d@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

Many thanks to all who participated.

-r

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk Runtimes v1.13.0-incubating