Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Bhavesh Shah <bh...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/13 11:20:33 UTC

How to do updation in Hive?

Hello all,

I want to update a columns every time. I have table consists of 50 columns.
I am applying such condition so that every time I need to update a column.

I know that Hive doesn't support UPDATE and If I think about using
PARTITION COLUMN so how can I maintain these columns? Is there any way in
Hive which helps me to update in Hive? or Is there any patch file which
helps me to do this? (But I don't know to how apply Patch files in Linux as
I am new to it?)

Please suggest me some solution. I got stuck here and I am not getting what
to do. (I am using hive-0.7.1)

Bhavesh Shah

Re: How to do updation in Hive?

Posted by Mark Grover <mg...@oanda.com>.
Hi Bhavesh,
I am no expert in this matter but typical Hive use cases don't involve updates. If your workflow, relies considerably on updating existing data in Hive (i.e. in HDFS), you might need to re-think your design or the tools you use.

Mark

OANDA Corporation

www: oanda.com www: fxtrade.com
e: mgrover@oanda.com

"Best Trading Platform" - World Finance's Forex Awards 2009.
"The One to Watch" - Treasury Today's Adam Smith Awards 2009.

Re: How to do updation in Hive?