Posted to user@flume.apache.org by Guillermo Ortiz <ko...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/21 11:54:34 UTC

Monitoring Flume

Hello,

I've looking for solutions to monitor a Flume Agent. Sometimes the process
is running but it isn't available to process any message because some error
happened. So, the process is running but Flume doesn't work.

How are people monitoring Flume in general?

We thought to create a JMX Source and send all data to some sink and do the
monitoring based on the JMX logs though Solr or whatever.

Any other solution or advise about monitoring Flume?

Re: Monitoring Flume

Posted by Ashish <pa...@gmail.com>.
See the section http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html#monitoring

IMHO look for Counters values, if they don't change means things may
be off track. Outside this I would really look for JVM level stats
like GC's. In case of Full GC's nothing from within the application
would respond.

I did some work on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-2550
(test cases are missing). If you have free cycles can try that out, it
shall open up things you can do with codahale Metrics package. Expect
a bumpy ride with the patch.

--
thanks
ashish

Blog: http://www.ashishpaliwal.com/blog

Re: Monitoring Flume

Posted by Dmytro Popovych <dr...@gmail.com>.
We are pretty happy with LogStash for logs + JMX / DataDog for metrics.
I didn’t have a situation when wasn’t able to explain behaviour by those monitors.

Re: Monitoring Flume

Posted by Simone Roselli <si...@plista.com>.
I mean to develop a Nagios check which is creating a connection obj with JMX and verify a metric to be as expected. eg: if the "kafka unreplicated partition value" is != 0, sys.exit(1), which means release a "WARNING" in the Nagios slang

This about the logic I would adopt

The problem is that I could not find a way to do it using python/ruby, because I didn't find valid examples how to use "jython" or "jruby" for JMX, or other similar things. To be clear, I wanted to use python or ruby just for lazyness; it would be nice in general to find a way to query JMX using something that already works

Simone Roselli
ITE Sysadmin
simone.roselli@plista.com
http://www.plista.com

Posted by Ravi Kiran Aita <ra...@eiqnetworks.com>.
Hi,

We can enable monitoring for Flume Nodes by starting the agent with below configuration
Invoke the agent with setting --> -Dflume.monitoring.port=34545
Access the stats from url --> http://<ip>:34545/metrics<http://%3cip%3e:34545/metrics>

We get the stats in json format which can be further processed. Probably this may help you.

Regards,
Ravikiran A

simone.roselli@plista.com<ma...@plista.com>
http://www.plista.com