Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by John Mclaughlin <jo...@imageworks.com> on 2003/10/08 19:39:37 UTC

checkout/rename of individual files

I would like to be able to check out individual files to a
name other than that stored in the repository.  For example
something like:

cd vit_revisions
svn checkout -r 345 file:///trunk/vit/vit.so vit_r345.so

Does svn allow this?  If this is allowed can I also
checkout a different revision of the same file into that directory?

svn checkout -r 728 file:///trunk/vit/vit.so vit_r728.so

The reason I want to do this is so that certain batch
jobs can lock down and record specific versions of code
they are using for all processes throughout the run of a
job.  I can of course check out the revisions and rename
them, but then I would lose the svn bookkeeping
information.

John McLaughlin

Re: checkout/rename of individual files

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
John Mclaughlin <jo...@imageworks.com> writes:

> cd vit_revisions
> svn checkout -r 345 file:///trunk/vit/vit.so vit_r345.so
>
> Does svn allow this?

No.  The smallest unit you can checkout is a directory.  There's no
such thing as a working copy of one-file.  Sorry.

Re: checkout/rename of individual files

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
John Mclaughlin <jo...@imageworks.com> writes:

> I would like to be able to check out individual files to a
> name other than that stored in the repository.  For example
> something like:
>
> cd vit_revisions
> svn checkout -r 345 file:///trunk/vit/vit.so vit_r345.so
>
> Does svn allow this?

No can do.  Our granularity for working copies is a directory.

But perhaps you can do 'svn cat -r 345 file:///trunk/vit/vit.so vit_r345.so'?