Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by "Maxfield, Bruce D. (LNG-DAY)" <Br...@lexisnexis.com> on 2008/11/21 18:11:36 UTC

@MatrixParam anomoly - four test cases w/ code example

I've been working with the CXF 2.2 snapshot and have encountered what I
believe to be anomalies in its behavior.  Below is my test code, then
below that the output/description of four test cases.  Any insight into
whether this is expected behavior or a defect would be appreciated.

package com.example.simpleJaxRsResources;

import javax.ws.rs.GET;

import javax.ws.rs.Produces;

import javax.ws.rs.Path;

import javax.ws.rs.MatrixParam;

import javax.ws.rs.PathParam;

import javax.ws.rs.core.Context;

import javax.ws.rs.core.UriInfo;

@Path("{base}/{tail}")

@Produces("text/plain")

public class FirstResource {

      @GET

      public String getFirstResource(@PathParam("base") String base,

                  @PathParam("tail") String tail,

                  @MatrixParam("matrixParam") String matrixParm,

                  @Context UriInfo info) {

            return "Full Request URI: " + info.getRequestUri() + "\n" +

            "base: " + base + "\n" +

            "tail: " + tail + "\n" +

            "matrixParm=" + matrixParm;

      }

}

//Test #1

//Full Request URI: //CXF22/base/beginTail

//base: base

//tail: beginTail

//matrixParm=null

//Test #2 - Seems like the ';matrixParam=ParamValue' should not appear
in 'tail:'

//Full Request URI: //CXF22/base/beginTail;matrixParam=ParamValue

//base: base

//tail: beginTail;matrixParam=ParamValue

//matrixParm=ParamValue

//Test #3 - Seems like ';matrixParam=ParamValue' should not appear in
'base', and should appear in 'matrixParm'

//Full Request URI: //CXF22/base;matrixParam=ParamValue/beginTail

//base: base;matrixParam=ParamValue

//tail: beginTail

//matrixParm=null

//Test #4 - change the @Path to be @Path("base/{tail}, then append
';matrixParam=ParamValue' to it.

// The following URL then does not match
".../base;matrixParam=ParamValue/beginTail"

Re: @MatrixParam anomoly - four test cases w/ code example

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@progress.com>.
That's done on the trunk now.
I have to admit I remain pessimistic about the algorithm which leads to the following test passing so the work I've done is partial
in this regard - that is if a given path segment relies on a custom regular expression then the match will happen only if a given
custom expression allows for such a match. I'll relax this condition as necessary.
Basically, I think if a user explicitly requests no matrix parameters can be cariied with /base through, for ex,
@Path("{base:base&&[^;]}"), or a number of similar regular expressions, then the match should not happen

Thanks, Sergey

Posted by "Maxfield, Bruce D. (LNG-DAY)" <Br...@lexisnexis.com>.

==========================

============================

====================

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@progress.com>.
Hi

Likewise, I appreciate your working to make the suggested changes.

I agree that in the case of #3, there is some ambiguity and there are
posts out there regarding the fact that a matrix parameter with the same
'name' multiple times in a URI leads to ambiguity.  I would suspect that
the proper way to deal with this is to declare the method parameter as
ArrayList<string>.  That way the runtime could populate the array with
all of the values, yet it would remain undefined where the values fall
in the URI path forcing the application to parse the raw string.  Anyone
have suggestions on how to address this challenge?

>S.B - either use PathSegment per every Path {id} parameter

@Path(/{a}/{b})
someMethod(@PathParam("a") PathSegment a, @PathParam("b") PathSegment b)

or use UriInfo.getPathSegments() in cases where you do not want to introduce template variables.
I added PathSegment (as path parameters) support yesterday evening.

So in the former case you can get the associations unambiguosly

Cheers, Sergey