Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru> on 2008/04/21 19:21:03 UTC

Re[2]: [VOTE] Release POI 3.1-BETA1

Hi Dave,

> Hi Yegor,

> Andy suggested in the big email exchange last week that we include
> some type of note about OOXML and licensing questions.

> I'm not sure about the language for that, perhaps Sam and Andy will
> come back with it.

> To be clear, does this release include the OOXML branch?

All ongoing work on OOXML is done in a separate svn branch and is not
included in this release.
However, this release includes initial support for OOXML text
extractors contributed by Nick and Ugo around the New Year:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/tags/REL_3_1_BETA1/src/scratchpad/ooxml-src/

This code was also included in 3.0.2. It's only a few classes intended
for text extraction from OOXML files.

Regards,
Yegor

Re: Re[2]: [VOTE] Release POI 3.1-BETA1

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@torchbox.com>.
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Ugo Cei wrote:
> > Also, I'm happy to remove it if people agree)
>
> +1

Right, zapped from trunk. The only ooxml support is now in the branch,
which is also the version everyone should use who wants it

Nick

Re[4]: [VOTE] Release POI 3.1-BETA1

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
>  Another simple
> improvement would be to add the recent versions (3.0.1, 3.0.2, 3.1,
> etc) to the select box, to help distinguish bug reports after this
> release.

Andy,

Would you please edit the Bugzilla settings and add the recent POI
versions: 3.0.1, 3.0.2 and 3.1 to the version list box? You seem to be
the only person I know who has "mojo" to edit products.

Yegor

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
> +1 looks OK to me.

> Some general comments though -
> It would be nice if we could get Bugzilla cleaned up a bit.  Right now
> (please correct me if I am wrong) we don't have a very good view of
> the important outstanding bugs on POI.  It seems like that would be a
> sensible thing to consult when making a release.

I completely agree with you. We do need Bugzilla cleanup.
Right now we have 200+ bugs and many of them go back to POI 2.0 or
even 1.5! It would be nice to normalize and reduce it. By normalizing
I mean closing duplicates and not reproducible bugs. Also, many bugs
should be converted from "open" to "need info", otherwise they will
stay in the open state forever.

As to the important outstanding bugs, every of us has his own punch list.
Personally, I try to keep the HSLF bug list clean and fix
escher-related bugs in HSSF. When talking about the bug-fix roadmap,
my favorite bug is OutOfMemoryError when reading/creating large xls files.
I do want to fix it although it seems to be not trivial.

Yegor

Posted by Josh Micich <jo...@gildedtree.com>.
+1 looks OK to me.

Some general comments though -
It would be nice if we could get Bugzilla cleaned up a bit.  Right now
(please correct me if I am wrong) we don't have a very good view of
the important outstanding bugs on POI.  It seems like that would be a
sensible thing to consult when making a release.  Another simple

Posted by Paolo Mottadelli <p....@sourcesense.com>.
> > (I don't think this zapping is enough to stop this beta, just think it's
> > something worth doing before the next one. Also, I'm happy to remove it
> > if people agree)

I agree, too.
+1

--
Paolo Mottadelli

Re: Re[2]: [VOTE] Release POI 3.1-BETA1

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:09 AM, Nick Burch wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
>> However, this release includes initial support for OOXML text
>> extractors
>> contributed by Nick and Ugo around the New Year:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/poi/tags/REL_3_1_BETA1/src/
>> scratchpad/ooxml-src/
>
> Though it should be pointed out that this initial ooxml support is
> only
> included in the source releases. No binaries get built
>
> Also, it might be worth zapping this code out of trunk, now the
> stuff in
> the branch has moved on so much. There's no easy route from the text
> extractors in trunk to the ones in the branch, as we have changed
> class
> names and constructors. Just add a note that people wanting ooxml
> support
> should use the branch.

That was my impression too.

> (I don't think this zapping is enough to stop this beta, just think
> it's
> something worth doing before the next one. Also, I'm happy to
> remove it
> if people agree)

+1

	Ugo