Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com> on 2012/04/12 16:38:36 UTC

Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone

I've got a suggestion to improve the layout I've previously drawn up
for Dashboard, Product, Version and Milestone pages.

Until now these pages had a Title (name of the product/version/etc), a
status, description, and then a button bar to show further detail:
Version | My Tickets | All Tickets | Projects | Components

Only one button would be selected at a time, and show only one piece
of information, for example the Tickets the user has relating to the
product/version/etc.
I believe it would be quicker to navigate and easier to use if all of
these are shown at the same time:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/html-templates/product.html

This would then provide further links to edit/add items and view a
full list. Currently my suggestion is to use a modal overlay for these
via the icons provided, but I'm well aware of the downsides of modals
and would be grateful for better suggestions!

Also on Product/Version screens only high importance tickets would be
shown by default, while on the Dashboard and Milestone views tickets
of all priority levels would be shown.

What do you all think?

- Joe

PS: This is only implemented on the Product view so far. Others will
follow if the feedback is mostly positive.

Re: Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
On 18 July 2012 01:35, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> On 17/07/12 13:20, Joe Dreimann wrote:
>>

>> I'm happy for them to overlap. It's unlikely that they will significantly
>> anyway in a common setup considering the number of users it would have and
>> assuming some division of the work.
>>

> You make a good point but the assumption of a large set of users is an
> interesting one.

I think that once it's over a handful of users this will already become
likely. No need for a large number.

> Still, even if there is often significant overlap, that does not prove it
> to be inherently bad. It seems more like a judgement call where you have
> consistency of that part of the view between users against any perceived
> problem with replication. We can always wait for calls to make it a
> configuration option or a user preference.
>
>  The discussion aspect is a good point I hadn't considered yet. When your
>> priorities and the overall priorities overlap significantly that also
>> provides helpful feedback which may trigger helpful conversations.
>>

> Like.. 'why have you got all the high priority tickets?' Yes, that is a
> reasonable point.
>
> Talking of the possibility of seeing another user's dashboards, it is
> clearly possible to extend this idea to multiple users or groups.
> Presumably this could be of use to a team leader for instance. I do not
> recall a discussion here about how to help a team leader might see the
> details of the teams work. It might be better to provide a slightly
> different layout (perhaps separating their own tickets and the team's) but
> at the moment we do not have the ability to distinguish this kind of user.
> A team dashboard might be helpful to more than just the team leader of
> course. Perhaps this is something to break into a new thread.

I'd say that with some better reporting tools and an intuitive Custom Query
interface we can already achieve most of this. I see both also as general
requirements we have to deliver independently of this. Also ticket #138
contributes towards making such a 'shared' view if it allows users to embed
custom query results.

Cheers,
Joe

Re: Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 17/07/12 13:20, Joe Dreimann wrote:

> ________________________
> @jdreimann - Twitter
> Sent from my phone
>
> On 17 Jul 2012, at 13:44, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>
>> On 07/17/2012 09:53 AM, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>>> [..] What do you think?
>> Well, I don't like distinguishing blockers and critical as being particularly special.
> That's ok. I also didn't consider that these can be modified by users, which would make it unfeasible anyway.
>
>> I suggest that we consider the most important tickets to be members of the top N priority levels represented in tickets of a given milestone. We could then use the dates of milestones to determine which tickets are likely to be more interesting (assuming that a ticket is not given its own due date through a plugin.)
>>
>> For this to work at its best, milestones would have to have due dates but this could be an incentive to set them.
>>
>> I understand that the selection of tickets we are discussing is distinct from the list of tickets that are [assigned to|watched by] the user. We should also consider whether these lists should be allowed to overlap. If we are expecting users to discuss the list of tickets displayed with reference to a dashboard view, it might be expected that certain lists would be identical for the viewers. On the other hand, a ticket listed twice on a page seems a bit silly so it would probably be helpful to instead provide the means for the user to see the dashboard style views of a different user - probably with redacted parts for where there is information that the viewing user does not have the relevant permissions to view.
> I'm happy for them to overlap. It's unlikely that they will significantly anyway in a common setup considering the number of users it would have and assuming some division of the work.

You make a good point but the assumption of a large set of users is an
interesting one. Still, even if there is often significant overlap, that
does not prove it to be inherently bad. It seems more like a judgement
call where you have consistency of that part of the view between users
against any perceived problem with replication. We can always wait for
calls to make it a configuration option or a user preference.

> The discussion aspect is a good point I hadn't considered yet. When your priorities and the overall priorities overlap significantly that also provides helpful feedback which may trigger helpful conversations.

Like.. 'why have you got all the high priority tickets?' Yes, that is a
reasonable point.

Talking of the possibility of seeing another user's dashboards, it is
clearly possible to extend this idea to multiple users or groups.
Presumably this could be of use to a team leader for instance. I do not
recall a discussion here about how to help a team leader might see the
details of the teams work. It might be better to provide a slightly
different layout (perhaps separating their own tickets and the team's)
but at the moment we do not have the ability to distinguish this kind of
user. A team dashboard might be helpful to more than just the team
leader of course. Perhaps this is something to break into a new thread.

Cheers,
     Gary

Re: Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone

Posted by Joe Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

________________________

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
> IMO we can also insert links to the corresponding pages for client
> browsers with JS disabled and , at the same time , prepare for the
> case when JS is enabled by intercepting click events in order to
> launch modal dialogs . In theory it's possible to use a combination of
> the methods mentioned above by Gary . My $0.02 .

That sounds reasonable to me.

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
Hi !

I'm replying to this message , but I arranged messages a little bit in
order to eliminate top-posting , in spite of making this thread more
readable ... or at least make it clear what part of the message I'm
replying to ...

On 4/13/12, Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 04/12/2012 03:38 PM, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>> I've got a suggestion to improve the layout I've previously drawn up
>> for Dashboard, Product, Version and Milestone pages.

[...]
>> I believe it would be quicker to navigate and easier to use if all of
>> these are shown at the same time:
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/html-templates/product.html
>>
>> This would then provide further links to edit/add items and view a
>> full list. Currently my suggestion is to use a modal overlay for these
>> via the icons provided, but I'm well aware of the downsides of modals
>> and would be grateful for better suggestions!
>>

> Thanks for that Joe..
>
> Well, the only obvious alternatives to a modal view that I can think of
> at short notice would be:
>
>   * change to the edit/add/list page
>   * in-place editing and adding (add could create an empty placeholder
>     for a new version/milestone)
>   * list view could work more like a dropdown list

IMO we can also insert links to the corresponding pages for client
browsers with JS disabled and , at the same time , prepare for the
case when JS is enabled by intercepting click events in order to
launch modal dialogs . In theory it's possible to use a combination of
the methods mentioned above by Gary . My $0.02 .

>> Also on Product/Version screens only high importance tickets would be
>> shown by default, while on the Dashboard and Milestone views tickets
>> of all priority levels would be shown.

This is not considered in current implementation , but it's possible
to do so . I wonder what happens if there are no such high-priority
tickets at a given time . For instance , right now it seems to me that
there's a single critical ticket in Bloodhound issue tracker , whereas
we have quite a few major & minor & ... open tickets . If this is the
case , will it list only one ticket in product / version screens ?

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:

Re: Layout suggestion - affects Dashboard, Product, Version, Milestone

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.
I think in place editing is a good suggestion. I've raise a ticket to
explore that further.
https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/ticket/33

 I'll pick it up next week if there are no other volunteers.

- Joe

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Thanks for that Joe..