Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by au...@gmail.com on 2010/01/25 20:40:43 UTC

[users@httpd] link to open local files - intranet/local access only

Hi all,

Completely unsure were to start on this one.

I've 3 platforms to support (Windows, Linux, Mac), which use file
browsers of Windows Explorer, Conquerer, OSX Finder respectively.

Our intranet has links to files were we would like those directory
locations to open when clicked.

Basically we are trying the ease file navigation for our users because
the paths can be very long.  The files vary in type which are
irrelevant in that we just want there local file browser to open up to
that specific directory location.

I'm flexible in that I could enforce the use of 1 browser like Firefox
on all three platforms, but how do I go about getting this running?

My setup;

Apache 2.2.3 on Centos 5.3
Centos 5.3 clients
OSX 10.5 clients
XP clients

Browsers can be anything, Firefox is fine for us.

Thanks in adavnce for any clues.

- aurf

Re: [users@httpd] link to open local files - intranet/local access only

Posted by au...@gmail.com.
Hi LMJ,

On Jan 25, 2010, at 12:53 PM, L.M.J wrote:

> Le Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:40:43 -0800,
> aurfalien@gmail.com a écrit :
>> I've 3 platforms to support (Windows, Linux, Mac), which use file
>> browsers of Windows Explorer, Conquerer, OSX Finder respectively.
>>
>> Our intranet has links to files were we would like those directory
>> locations to open when clicked.
>>
>> Basically we are trying the ease file navigation for our users
>> because
>> the paths can be very long.  The files vary in type which are
>> irrelevant in that we just want there local file browser to open up
>> that specific directory location.
>>
>> I'm flexible in that I could enforce the use of 1 browser like
>> Firefox
>> on all three platforms, but how do I go about getting this running?
>>
>> My setup;
>>
>> Apache 2.2.3 on Centos 5.3
>> Centos 5.3 clients
>> OSX 10.5 clients
>> XP clients
>
> You may know file links (file:///) but I don't want to use them at
> all. Where are your files stored ?

The files are stored on a NAS but the goal here is to open up their
local file browser to help them navigate much faster.

While I do have virtual host directive and some server side dir/file
stuff going on, its not what we would like in this case.

Re: [users@httpd] link to open local files - intranet/local access only

Posted by "L.M.J" <li...@free.fr>.
aurfalien@gmail.com a écrit :
> I've 3 platforms to support (Windows, Linux, Mac), which use file
> browsers of Windows Explorer, Conquerer, OSX Finder respectively.
>
> Our intranet has links to files were we would like those directory
> locations to open when clicked.
>
> Basically we are trying the ease file navigation for our users because
> the paths can be very long.  The files vary in type which are
> irrelevant in that we just want there local file browser to open up to
> that specific directory location.
>
> I'm flexible in that I could enforce the use of 1 browser like Firefox
> on all three platforms, but how do I go about getting this running?
>
> My setup;
>
> Apache 2.2.3 on Centos 5.3
> Centos 5.3 clients
> OSX 10.5 clients
> XP clients

 You may know file links (file:///) but I don't want to use them at all. Where are your files stored ? On a
 NAS ? Why can't you just mount remote shares to your server in a virtualhost subdirectory and point to them
 with a link like this : http://intranet/subdir/path/to/myfile.txt

--
 LMJ
 "May the source be with you my young padawan"