Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by neo0731 <vv...@gmail.com> on 2018/10/09 11:10:57 UTC

Does Hbase backup process support encryption while transporting the data from one cluster to other cluster

Question arises when migrating the data from one hbase table to another.

Input

To sync the production cluster data with dev cluster. Additionaly, while
copying we need to re-hash the following fields: hashed_email, lexer_id,
foo_imsi, foo_msn, signal_uid, bar_imsi.

Question is : Does copyTable support hashing of data while copying? Same for
distcp utility ? Is it possible to supply some example code in scala as well

Any help on it would be much appreciated?

--
Sent from: http://apache-hbase.679495.n3.nabble.com/HBase-Developer-f679493.html

Re: Does Hbase backup process support encryption while transporting the data from one cluster to other cluster

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
bq. Does copyTable support hashing of data while copying?

No.

bq.  Same for distcp utility ?

The above would get better answer posting on hadoop mailing list.

Thanks

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Hi neo0731,
depending on what you mean by encryption, it can mean Hadoop at-rest
encryption, Hadoop data transport encryption, Hadoop RPC necryption, HBase
data transport encryption, Hbase RPC encryption, SSL encryption (Hadoop
WebHDFS, HBase Thrift)

distcp supports Hadoop at-rest encryption, and it supports Hadoop data
transport encryption/Hadoop RPC encryption. There's a proposal to support
webhdfs styled URL in distcp, and that way it will be able to support SSL
encrypted traffic.

HBase replication supports Hadoop at-rest encryption. We've seen the use
case in production.
I am aware of some bugs in HBase backup tool that can't read Hadoop
encryption zone files.

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 5:28 AM neo0731 <vv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Question arises when migrating the data from one hbase table to another.
>
> Input
>
> To sync the production cluster data with dev cluster. Additionaly, while
> copying we need to re-hash the following fields: hashed_email, lexer_id,
> foo_imsi, foo_msn, signal_uid, bar_imsi.
>
> Question is : Does copyTable support hashing of data while copying? Same
> for
> distcp utility ? Is it possible to supply some example code in scala as
> well
>
> Any help on it would be much appreciated?
>

> --
> Sent from:
> http://apache-hbase.679495.n3.nabble.com/HBase-Developer-f679493.html

--